Minecraft for iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macmastersam, Oct 28, 2011.

1. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Like I had stated in my other thread on my iMac: wait or get for Christmas, I am now wondering how well minecraft will play on it and if I can get gaming RAM for it. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: the iMac I'm getting is a quad-core intel core i5 2.5 ghz with 4GB RAM. also wondering how much gaming RAM I can install on my iMac if you can get gaming RAM for it!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. macabouttobe macrumors regular

macabouttobe

My kids are on Minecraft quite a bit. Not sure what "gaming" ram is, I'd stick to approved GHZ ram for your particular machine will be. They play on a 2.8 dual core with 4 gig of ram no prob. They mentioned that there was occasional lag when I connected to my internet router via WIFI, went away when I did a direct connection. Runs fine on our system.

4. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Gaming RAM is the much faster version of computer RAM. this let's programs access the RAM quicker making them load up faster and in some cases run faster as well.

Bit rude, isn't it? Asking "WTF is gaming RAM???" you could be more politer by asking "what is gaming ram?", or similar to how the person above asked the question. second of all, this question is aimed at those WHO DO KNOW what I am talking about, not at idiots who will come across rude and ask"WTF is gaming RAM" and you are the perfect example.

And thank You to the person who answered above.

5. simsaladimbamba

Wow. I was just surprised to hear of gaming RAM, as I never heard that term, as I thought faster RAM would be just that, faster RAM. Now that I know, that faster RAM is meant to be gaming RAM, I will refrain from being an idiot. Thank you for educating us. You are a blessed soul.

PS: My flatmate uses a Pentium Dual Core CPU and DDR2 RAM, though not gaming RAM, and can play Minecraft without problems. Must be one of the idiots I suppose.
    Or it could be Windows, as it is the better OS anyway.

----------

Yep, thanks too for not being an idiot like me.

6. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hearing that just makes me hear the other side of you. I am sorry. Never meant any harm. My laptop ATM is a pentium dual core 2.00ghz with 4GB RAM. Might be DDR2 Ram. Maybe DDR3. So my computer is identical. Does your flatmate's computer have the T4500 pentium or the B6100 pentium?

I have the pentium T4500. The B6100 is the sandy bridge pentium. Which is newer.

7. simsaladimbamba

8. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. simsaladimbamba

MOtherBOard

Just get two additional 4GB RAM modules from Newegg for less than 50USD, like these.
    Btw, Minecraft is still 32-bit, thus it can't take advantage of more than 4GB RAM anyway, and the RAM is not important for that game anyway, as it is not really hungry for techspecs.

[​IMG]

10. Sonecko macrumors newbie

I assume this "Gaming RAM" you talk of is VRAM, I think it's only upgradable through the apple store on the most expensive model as there's the option for a graphics card with 2GB. The "Normal RAM" you can upgrade without any problem.

11. AdrianK macrumors 68020

RAM is RAM, is it not? "Gaming" just sounds like an excuse to sell performance components at an even higher price. If it's higher clock speed you're looking then make sure it's compatible with the iMac.

Do you have a link to the RAM you're looking at?

If you're talking about RAM with the crazy heat-sinks that won't fit in an iMac.

Besides, what you need to worry about is the graphics card, the stock amount of RAM the iMac will come with is not going to become a bottleneck for MC.

If you are talking about VRAM, that's not something Apple gives you the option to upgrade anyway unless you get the high-end 27".

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I have the slowest consumer iMac that is capable of running Lion (late 2006.)
    It has a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, 3 GB RAM, 160 GB 7200 RPM hard drive, Radeon X1600 graphics with 128 MB VRAM.

It plays Minecraft on my 1920x1080 display just fine.

"Gaming" RAM is pointless. Look for regular RAM with low latency. Companies just charge extra to put fancy heatsinks on it (that won't fit in the iMac anyway.)

13. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks or the advice so far guys!