Minecraft on the 2016 MB

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
How well does Minecraft run on your 2016 MacBook's and on which settings?

I ask as at the end of the year I'll be able to scrape together £1400 for a new Mac and it's the MB wit Apple Care in gold with the Core M5 OR a MacBook Pro space grey 13" with Apple Care. I have Student Discount so I get a lower price on both modes and half price Apple care but there is still a £200 price difference.

Minecraft is the only game I play and has been since 2011, it doesn't exactly demand a gaming PC but at the same time my concern is the fanless M5 under a few hours of gameplay. I currently have a mid-2012 MBP wit an i5 which still runs it excellently.

If I can get away with getting a MacBook and saving some money I will. But only you owners can advise me on that!

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Look, Minecraft works on pretty much anything, but things like shaders or maybe heavy texture packs are always a bit trickier. Standard Minecraft runs fine on the MacBook and MacBook Pro without Touch Bar.

The MacBook will get hot and that might reduce power, but I remember playing Minecraft without many issues on a standard 2015 MacBook. Wouldn't spend more money for just this, that would also mean getting a heavier, less portable machine. The Pro does have other advantages though.

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Look, Minecraft works on pretty much anything, but things like shaders or maybe heavy texture packs are always a bit trickier. Standard Minecraft runs fine on the MacBook and MacBook Pro without Touch Bar.

The MacBook will get hot and that might reduce power, but I remember playing Minecraft without many issues on a standard 2015 MacBook. Wouldn't spend more money for just this, that would also mean getting a heavier, less portable machine. The Pro does have other advantages though.
So you reckon the current M3 model is more than adequate?

I play vanilla MC online, but I am also aware MC gets a little more demanding over time? Maybe it won't be long before its a no go on the MB? Or am I completely wrong on that?

sunapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
So you reckon the current M3 model is more than adequate?

I play vanilla MC online, but I am also aware MC gets a little more demanding over time? Maybe it won't be long before its a no go on the MB? Or am I completely wrong on that?
I do not know of future updates or where Minecraft is headed. I had a MacBook last year and it worked back then.

You're buying Apple's most compact laptop and I think it's a great little machine. You're also buying Apple's slowest laptop so you just have to be aware of that. Passive cooling and the Core M processors just have their limit.

Oh, and definitely wait for the rumored April update! Even incremental upgrades like last year make a noticeable difference on these machines.

Reactions: 0989383

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2013
I do not know of future updates or where Minecraft is headed. I had a MacBook last year and it worked back then.

You're buying Apple's most compact laptop and I think it's a great little machine. You're also buying Apple's slowest laptop so you just have to be aware of that. Passive cooling and the Core M processors just have their limit.

Oh, and definitely wait for the rumored April update! Even incremental upgrades like last year make a noticeable difference on these machines.
It will be in September - December roughly. I have time on my side to decide, and inside this year any April update, October spec-bump or sudden price drop Apple might release :)

I'm seriously considering the following:
- MacBook 12" Gold M3 (with Apple Care)
- MacBook Pro 13" Non-TB i5 (but no Apple Care)
- Alienware 13" i5QM (the screen puts me off not being FHD at that price!)
- Maybe a Lenovo ThinkPad for the keyboard and reliability..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.