Minecraft Portable Edition.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by east85, Nov 4, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Just gave it a go and I'm pretty much glad I spent the money. I'll probably buy a copy for my Mac (unfortunately it's more but has more features). Anyways it's kind of like legos with zombies to put it simply. There's a lot of resource gathering and whatnot. I've built like 5 bases on an island map and just connected them all underground. Even after all that I'm still finding new stuff to make. They're working on online play so people can do servers but it might be awhile. Anyone else try it?

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

After being a huge fan of the PC version I coughed up the $7 and bought the pocket addition for iOS. It's much harder and clumsier to use on a 4 inch screen (iPod Touch 5th gen) and it's still missing a lot. It needs some more work. It has improved though since I first used it on my Droid X (sold) 6 months ago. Like the addition of survival mode.

3. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

It's a good thing I didn't play the computer version before playing with PE, because wow. I just downloaded the version for Mac (since it's free to play single player in both creative and survival) and it's absolutely insane. The environment looks great, with addition of huge caverns and multiple environments I'm pretty much sold. I'll fork out the money for the computer version after my next paycheck comes in. The portable version has been compared to the "classic" version of the game, which I guess kind of makes sense since they're developing it for the mobile platform from the ground up. The glaring omissions that I can't stand are: You can't enchant anything. Redstone is there, but it drops nothing. Caverns are there, but I've found none. Apparently they are usually small. Animals despawn. I'm not sure if this is normal or a glitch, but I've had animals despawn right in front of me and that's especially annoying when you're trying to boost the sheep population on a water map and build platforms to get them out of the water. All this among other things.

I guess it's for a mobile platform though, so it's OK. I'm sure they'll get the game up to speed, they really need to create an option to connect to servers. Those on jailbroken devices can have the pleasure of connecting to servers, so there's no reason why they can't develop the feature.