Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I would consider trying it, even if I already am on Sonos.
Sonos plays my local music library and a whopping gazillion of radios around the world without hassle.

Make it do the same and we’re in the game...

Oh, and don’t restrict its availability only to a handful of carefully selected countries...

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
will never happen, and i dont think lowering the price will help.
what will never happen? of course lowing the price will help. Hell actually bringing out air play 2 will help with that alone. Making siri smarter is clearly part of apple's focus as it should be.

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2014
Actually, we already have HP "smarts" in the <half-the-price :apple:TV. And it brings benefits of a dedicated app store, access to music services other than just AM and it doesn't discriminate against our own music ripped from CDs. Hook it to whatever quality speakers one desires and you also ALREADY get stereo too. Bonus: it also can play video!!!
Prior to launch, I really expected HomePod and Apple TV to be merged into the same product line. It makes a lot of sense. One with built-in speakers, one without, both with the option to connect to a TV if you want, but not required. It's just a poorly thought out product entirely.

Reactions: Apple Fritter

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
"...Apple considering lower-priced HomePod after potentially lackluster sales"

Yeah, no kidding. The thing is $350 when an Echo has better voice features, more market saturation, better adoption, sounds just as good to most people, and you're probably already paying for Amazon Prime.

The HomePod is priced crazy into the stratosphere for what 99% of what people are going to do with it. Now, if they made it $150, it would dominate the market quickly.

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
I’m terms of Siri vs Alexa etc. Siri good for basics just not as clever for general knowledge. But all
Alexa does is access a data base with the questions you ask. None of these so called,” smart assistance” are smart they are just voice interfaces.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
... and i dont think lowering the price will help.
You know what would have helped a lot? Delivering the HomePod fully functional. It's months later and the darn things still isn't fully functional. I'd be willing to bet that a significant portion of those who purchased a HomePod would have gotten 2 or more if the stereo pairing and multi-room AirPlay2 features were there when the HP went on sale.

There is an upside though. If the lackluster sales turns out to be true, some people will be able to get HP at discounted rates as stores try to move stagnant inventory. By that time Apple may have the HP fully functional.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
He added that Siri provides an "uninspiring user experience" compared to competitors, presumably including the Amazon Echo with Alexa and the Google Home with Google Assistant.

Focus on building a better Siri and people will buy more. Apple should never compete on price because that's not why people buy Apple products.
This is true, although I think that Apple would sell more if they were cheaper. I would expand their focus to not only on Siri, but the user experience.

Apple traditionally always had a premium price with nice margins, but people would buy them because the product was premium quality, design, and had a better user experience than the competition that was often much cheaper.

Now, it seems like Apple is trying to sell sub-premium products at a premium price. The software is a mess lately, and it seems to be only getting worse.

Reactions: redscull

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Like many here have already stated. It’s missing a lot to be useful. Siri just isn’t up to par, HomeKit is a complete disaster, and lack of profiles on HomePod only make it useful if you live alone.

Apple really needs to up the ante with Siri and rewrite/rethink how HomeKit should work.

Suspended
Sep 6, 2009
I would like a filter that hides all articles that even mention "Ming-Chi Kuo". (yes I do realize I clicked on the article AND commented on it..)

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Not to mention missing the holiday quarter (unless you were including that as "late" too)
Yeah, and just generally how long it took them after Amazon and Google.

But at least with this we see that Samsung always waits for Apple, as the other products weren’t enough for them to want to release something.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Honest question from someone who never uses Siri: is it really that bad? I mean is it so bad that it won’t understand basic, everyday commands? What so wrong with it?
I don't have a HomePod so my answer stems from using iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watch. Yes, Siri is terrible. Mostly because it fundamentally can't understand what I'm saying unless I speak a slow monotone, and I have no accent aside from totally standard American. When multiple devices are in earshot, all logged into the same Apple account, they compete for processing the command instead of letting the closest handle it. So I've had to completely turn Siri off on my iPad and learned to whisper to my watch so the phone can't hear it. It also fails at handling anything interesting. Queries inevitably turn into a crappy web search, and I have to look at my phone for the answers; easier in those cases just to have googled it via typing and already be in my browser. The only thing Siri really does well is set reminders, but that's primarily because the UI for the reminder app is clunky when you want to set dates/times. A better UI would diminish Siri's value there too. You also cannot do useful things like speak to Siri on the watch to tell it to launch an app on the phone; I always want this when my phone is in my pocket in the car, and I want to start my music app so it plays to the car's bluetooth. But no, that requires getting my phone out and using it directly.

Reactions: decypher44

TheTruth101

Suspended
Mar 15, 2017
HomePod is appropriately priced IF:

1. Siri gets smarter.
2. Device is feature complete.
3. Can be used with third-party streaming services.

OR

4. People don’t care about Siri’s smarts (or lack thereof) and only use Apple Music.

Do not talk about Siri's "smartness" Someone will call you sexists.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Poor market research on Apples part. Define what the needs are in a market, then how to best improve on those market needs. It would appear that Apple did a poor job in their market research. That build it and they will come Apple approach, struggling this time around. As per this article, Apple will make the necessary changes, a bit late in the game nonetheless. Do not wait too long Apple, others have seen your product and vision, they are sure to respond.

CordovaLark

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2018
> Apple Considering Lower-Priced HomePod After Potentially Lackluster Sales

Uh, we have that already. It's called Amazon Echo and Google Home. Focus on building a better Siri and people will buy more. Apple should never compete on price because that's not why people buy Apple products.

Which runs circles around Siri without even trying nowadays.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Too late to market had a huge impact on sales also.

Umm how? The portable speaker market (no smarts) is a 10+ years old and growing. Bose and others have had GREAT sounding portable speakers for a while now.

The so called "digital assistant" speaker market is what two years old? Three at the most. All but the Google Max suck in comparison to the Home Pod, when it comes to sound quality.

As far as Digital Assistants....well I think the current wave of them, all of them, are lame. 95% of the time I can do whatever I ask them to do faster and better with my phone manually. All of them can be tripped up easily. All of them require a special way to talk to them, vs natural language. All of them need more powerful hardware and mountains of data and at least 5 years of tech innovation to even get close to being a true assistant.

Recent studies of how people use them are revealing....

Top 3 Amazon requests

Set a timer
Check the weather
Play a song

Top 3 for Google

Check the weather
Play a song
Set a timer

Sport score requests only 10%

Add an item to your todo list 5%

For me Siri can do all of that and do it pretty well. Does Siri need to get better, sure as long as it keeps privacy at the top of the list.

For someone that lives in the Apple ecosystem to include Apple Music, the Home Pod is a great portable speaker.

Reactions: LCC0256

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
HomePod is appropriately priced IF:

1. Siri gets smarter.
2. Device is feature complete.
3. Can be used with third-party streaming services.

OR

4. People don’t care about Siri’s smarts (or lack thereof) and only use Apple Music.

I'm #4 at the moment, I mean I *care* but it turns lights on an off fine (with excellent ability to "hear" me) and plays songs and playlists just fine and sounds great. I wasn't expecting Siri to be any better than it already is- that'd be nice, but I bought it for the aforemetnioned...

Reactions: TheMacDaddy1

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A lot of “could’s“ in this research note. Why do I get the feeling he quickly threw this together after seeing other rumors knowing rumor sites eat up anything he publishes. I don’t see any new information in this note but hey it keeps the HomePod doom and gloom alive and well over the weekend.

MacknTosh

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
Honest question from someone who never uses Siri: is it really that bad? I mean is it so bad that it won’t understand basic, everyday commands? What so wrong with it?
Yes - it really is that bad. Try it yourself and see - you may find the ability to set a timer sufficient.

Reactions: decypher44

mwd25

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Tempe
A smaller $150 'brain' still isn't going to interest consumers if the brain isn't as smart as the competition.
I'd say that consumers don't want the speaker because of the walled garden approach, and Siri's blatant not-as-smart-as-google/alexa problem.

Apple are way behind the curve here. Any user can have an equal or better sounding home assistant speaker setup for less money using either google's or amazon's more intelligent AI and hardware that can fit into their current speaker system.

A cheaper (but still not as cheap as the competition) voice led assistant from Apple, is still a poor quality rival next to say, Alexa and a couple of Sonos Ones.

There's just no reality distortion field here that is gonna do it for Apple this time.

Spot on. I own 4 echo devices. They all do what I want them to do every single time. They always hear me, they connect to play music throughout the home, and soon, hopefully we will get stereo integration. For what Homepod is, its not worth the price for me. I can outfit 4 rooms with echo and echo dots AND buy a few lights and plugs for the cost of one Homepod. Apple could have just dominated the field had they released their current Homepod at under $200. Now its a compelling product. I would have bought one for under $200. Comparing a Echo that you can get for around $80 when on sale, is a Homepod worth $270 additional dollars then an Echo???? No. If Im looking for sound that is that great I would buy 2 Sonos Play Ones for under $300. They would sound as good or better, ANY music service is compatible, play in sync around home or as stereo pair and add a dot and your same or cheaper in fact as Homepod.
No one wants a cheaper version of Homepod. They want the existing version to be cheaper and Apple could really have gained a lot of ground and got their devices in a lot of homes had they priced it properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.