Ming Chi-Kuo was completely wrong. Again.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raftysworld, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Raftysworld macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1771726 - Claimed the new ipad would be introduced

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1771700 - Claimed the iphone will sell in 32/64/128GB configurations, and claimed the 5.5 would ship later.

And he claimed these only FIVE DAYS AGO.

Can we please stop citing this clown? I don't know why the macrumors administrators love him so much, unless there's some money being exchanged under the table, but he is consistently wrong, and tends to only get things right after other analysts/news agencies have confirmed information.

2. hansonjohn590 macrumors 6502

You mean, a rumor was incorrect? Yeah lets jail him for life! :rolleyes:

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

4. Andy-V macrumors 6502

No further publicity should be given to him, it's silly. Analyst guesses are not newsworthy.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Except it wasn't even a rumor, just an analyst making a stupid guess. Analysts are not the same as sources from re/code, WSJ, Mark Gurman. They are almost always completely wrong. I'd love it if MacRumors had a "no analyst" policy, or at least demoted them off the front page.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Ming does splatter predictions all over the board and her supporters come out citing how she was right in some prediction in April while ignoring all the other missed projections before and after.

7. Raftysworld thread starter macrumors 6502

Did i say anything about jailing? I'm referring to the way the administrators cite him as if he has insider information, and often preface his name with "reliable". He's just guessing, like all of us. And he's actually a worse guesser in many ways.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Kid. Unless you work in Apple directly with these products...everyone is "guessing".

9. gsingham macrumors 6502

The joke is that this guy will be back guessing again in October for their ipad keynote and as usual be completely wrong

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

A bunch of people were wrong. Why single him/her/whatever out?

11. Raftysworld thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, Wall St Journal, Reuters, etc report on accurate information cited from sources within Apple - And yet on this site, it is Ming who is considered "reliable".

----------

Macrumors singles Ming out as reliable, that's exactly my point. It's time to put an end to that.

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

What about a small section on the track records of each rumor source and analyst whose report makes it to the front page? MR already does some of this (they constantly mention Kuo's track record) but I would like a more standardized approach like the Buyer's Guide.

Certainly some rumors are partially true in one form or another and Apple's plans may change over time (which can result in then-accurate reports becoming inaccurate), but maybe there's a way to give some kind of % number for each rumor/analyst source that is a representation of its reliability. Then the front page could have options to "only show sources with x% or higher reliability as of today."

13. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Or longer. ;)

14. satchmo macrumors 68000

Why would MacRumors cut the hand that feeds them?
    Let's be frank. There is no journalistic integrity here (none expected).

It's a rumour site whose revenue is generated through advertising based on clicks per thousands.

15. ItsGavinC macrumors 6502

That's not true at all. Many (those who are always correct) have insider contacts. Prime examples would be Jim Dalrymple or John Gruber. The difference with them is they don't speculate, or they clearly label it as such when they do.