Mini 06'->MBPr: more optimal to start with clean slate or using migration tool okay?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jalyst, Jan 16, 2013.

1. jalyst, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

jalyst macrumors regular

Recently got a MBPr 15", used the migration tool to migrate pretty much everything from my old volume, which was a ext. HDD (fw400) connected to my Mac Mini Intel Core Duo (circa Mar 2006 IIRC).
    My mini was upgraded to the latest possible version of OSX that Mac's of that era are allowed to be updated to, not 100% sure of version, 10.6.8 IIRC?
    When I did the migration, it created a 2nd login acct rather migrate everything to the existing acct, apparently this was necessary because the existing login acct name used, was exactly the same as the one I'd used for the old acct on my Mac Mini.

BUT.....

Thinking it might be best to totally reformat, do a fresh install, and than just manually move across stuff from my old volume that I want in the new env.
    Thoughts on this, is it absolutely unnecessary or are there some inherently good things about taking that approach, please can you elaborate?

Also, why are we not given a DVD or USB flash drive of Mountain Lion for free with our purchase?
    In Macs I've bought in the past, I've always been given a physical copy of the entire GM build of the OS.
    Can we claim a free copy or a discounted version from Apple somewhere?

Also, recommendations of excellent backup/imaging sw (beyond the stock offerings) is appreciated, once upon a time I heavily researched that sort of stuff, two that still come to mind are CCC* & SuperDuper.

Thank-you.
    *I see it's now no longer free, bummer, oh well.

2. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

3. etn macrumors newbie

Hi Jalyst,

sorry for the late answer. Just saw your post today.
    I don't believe there is a need to reformat your MBPr.
    But by all means, do not clone your old drive to the MBPr drive!

Using the migration tool is OK. Transfer only data and settings and install
    software new if you haven't done it already.

Having the same login name than on the previous machine is a good thing if you manually copy your files from your old HDD to your MBPr. If you are logged under a different username than the files owner's name, the system might prevent you from opening the files depending on your access rights settings. Changing owner and access rights of your files is a one-time only, 1 minute chown/chmod fix though, hence no big deal. Details here:
    http://www.tutorialspoint.com/unix/unix-file-permission.htm

I can't comment on your other points. As to why we are not given a physical copy of the OS with a $3k machine, hmmm, this is a mystery to me also. (Greed?) Heck, not even sure we are granted a free download of the OS installer on the App Store when buying a new mac! (I purchased a copy of Mountain Lion for my previous machine long before buying my 2013 MBP)

Hope this helps,

Etienne

4. jalyst, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated...
    Some further insight into this subject matter, for others that may be interested:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4715334?tstart=0

I am proceeding with a completely fresh install...
    I'll backup my current install/env. to an ext. HDD (1TB, only about 60GB used), as many things will have changed since my last several mths ago (I know, I know).
    I will then proceed with the process for a fresh install, as advised in that thread.
    I'll then manually re-install all apps I use, & move any setting across from my backup as I do that, I'll also migrate all content/data to this fresh install.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I don't trust those migration utilities, even Apple's first party solution. I prefer to copy and paste all of my files onto a large external drive and manually move them into the new computer. I'm kinda OCD about having a clean computer, so I take every precaution to not clutter up my clean installations with detritus from dirty installations or unnecessary programs.

6. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

I don't trust myself to recall; every single setting/content etc. file in every single location that I want to backup...
    Using the official backup tools ensures everything's covered, then I can take my time dragging across whatever I want into the fresh env.

7. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

I highly recommend using Migration Assistant. I have used it many times and it has gone without a hitch every time. It is a very elegant solution and the tool does a great job at making sure everything ends up in the right place. I always create a "dummy" admin account, run Migration Assistant and have it do its magic. A few hours later my digital life is on my new computer :D

DO NOT do a restore unless it is the same machine. This WILL cause issues. The only thing that I do not like about MA is that it takes a very long time to complete its process.

8. jalyst, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

9. jalyst thread starter macrumors regular

Yes similar to what I plan, I'll use whatever the standard backup tools are to backup to a external HDD.
    Then gradually, over time, I'll drag across individual files & file_groupings into my fresh environment.