Mini 2.1 (2007) with os 10.8?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Giuanniello, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

I read somewhere that it's possible to upgrade unsupported machines to 10.8, in my case I have two Minis, a 2006 (upgraded both EFI and CPU to a 2.1 model) and a 2007, the former on 10.6.x and the latter on 10.7.5, was wondering if possible to upgrade to the next release and, if so, how and if worth the pain, which are the main differences between .0.8 vs .0.7.5

Thank you

2. macmee Suspended

macmee

I just got my hands on a mid 2007 mac mini as well and would love to figure out newer OSes. I hear they're 64bit but run a 32bit kernel or something

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I went from a 2011 MacBook Air with 10.7x to a 2013 with 10.8x. IIRC, the main difference for me was the introduction of the Messages App (iMessage).

4. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

Does anybody know if it is possible to install 10.8 on a 2.1 Mini and if performances suffer on that hardware?

5. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

Yes, you can install the latest OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.5, using MacPostFactor software, on Mac mini 2.1. In terms of hardware and drivers, everything works perfect like it does on lower OSes. On software side, automatic sleep doesn't work with the latest security updates installed, built-in Screen Sharing to this mac mini doesn't work either. Everything else works fine, including FaceTime and iMessage, although I had to call Apple for them to activate those services for my Mac mini. I can say it's a welcome update as it enables iMessage and ability to run much newer software. And it actually works much faster than natively installed OS X Lion. I'll never downgrade back. Apple should have allowed those machines to run natively Mountain Lion.

My Mac mini is mid 2007 1.83GHz with 3GB RAM.

6. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

I'd be glad to jump straight to 10.8 but this is what MacPostFactor requirements look like

Prerequisites
    Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:
    - Running 10.7 Lion
    - At least 2GB of RAM.
    - A copy of Mountain Lion in Applications Folder (Recommended from the Mac App Store)
    - 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition to serve as your Installation Drive.

-MacBook2,x
    -MacBook3,x
    -MacBook4,x
    -MacBookPro2,x
    -MacBookAir1,1
    -MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
    -MacMini2,x
    -iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
    -iMac5,x (post #846 might help)

My problem being I am on 10.6.6 and it won't work unless I upgrade to 10.7 first which is a nightmare, attempted a few methods but nothing worked

7. macmee Suspended

macmee

When I run MPF I get error code 1 straight away and it fails

macmini2,1