mini 2006 1.66GHz, Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tom vilsack, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I have 2006 mac mini 1.66GHz...I use a newish Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad...my issue is,i can't use option key,c key ect during boot...nothing happens...is there some type work around or firmware update?

[​IMG]

I had to use a pc keyboard and use "alt" key to allow me to install snow leopard...once sl installed the keyboard works fine,just without option,c ect booting not working

2. ivnj macrumors 65816

Did you ever have the original style raised keyboard. And does it work on other computers or do you only have the mini? And if you're sure its not broken I could use it and trade you for my working white apple keyboard.

3. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

-i have a big old "macally ikey" keyboard that came with this mini...it works no problem with option boot key (but it's big and ugly and prefer this modern keyboard)

-also i just tryed this keyboard in a late 2007 macbook i have,option key ect work fine at boot

-must be some type older mini and this newish keyboard issue...

ps:thxs for offer,but keeping this keyboard,as other then boot option issue it's a real nice keyboard!

4. FrancoisC macrumors 6502a

FrancoisC

Had the same problem on mine a couple of years ago, nothing to do except use a pc keyboard when you want to use these options.

I remember people complaining on the official apple forum too, never any fix.

5. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

ok thxs for info...was kinda trying everything i could think of..will let it go now,and just use other keyboard if needed...

6. fireblade72 macrumors newbie

It's to do with the 1.1 firmware not recognizing the keyboard on boot. You can use the old IR remote control and hold down the Menu button on boot. I have to use this method to get me into bootcamp. I believe you can hack the firmware with a SMC 2.1 update to get round this but I haven't been brave enough to try this.