Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harkyONE

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Hey Team,

I've got a power riddle. I'm in the Uk where we use 240VAC coming out the wall.

I'm running an otherwise robust Mac mini (Late 2012), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB, osX 10.8.5

Often when I plug in something to the power strips to which the mac is also connected, the mac totally freezes and eventually I get the multi-language black screen of death.

My REVOX A77 tape machine is a definite contender for freezing the mac. Even if I plug it in to the other side of the room, it still often freezes the mac.

I now have a FURMAN Power Conditioner Monitor Model PM-8E which I hoped would even out the power but I still have the issues. Not everything is running from it, but the Mac is.

Other gear attached to mac: Audio interface, (ancient) MBox2 Pro via firewire. 2 monitors.

anyone had and overcame similar problems?

chyuz

H

Last edited:

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Initially, unplug all unnecessary peripherals, then re-attempt the steps that led to your crash (reads like a kernel panic). If the panic continues with nothing connected to your Mac besides mouse/keyboard/display, review the Console logs and look for any recurring steps just before the panic. Also, reboot in Safe Mode with no peripherals (again, besides mouse/keyboard/display) and re-attempt your scenario.

Additional steps: First, reset the SMC - unstable power issues may corrupt the Controller. Next, consider replacing the backup/clock battery (which power the chip that stores the NVRAM/PRAM settings).

le.bouch

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I'm afraid I can't help but... a Revox A77! I had one back in the day with a massive, cabled remote control with lit-up buttons. Always wanted a B77 but couldn't afford one.. I used the A77 for on-stage backing tracks, amongst other things. I learned to edit, cut and splice on that machine - bring back edit blocks, razor blades, chinagraph pencils and tape!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.