Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I've got a 16GB Mini 2 and am looking to upgrade... Best Buy is offering a nice trade in deal that everyone knows about so I'm wanting to upgrade... mainly for the retina display.

Never had a big iPad before so I'm leaning that way but I've also read the Air 2 is having vibration issues.

So... Mini 3 or Air 2? Help me decide. :eek:

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Unless you must have Touch ID or gold on your Mini, no point in upgrading from the 2 to the 3. It's the same internals.

The Air 2 is really an exceptional tablet, even with its flaws. I recommend it.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
I don't get it. You have a Mini 2 but you want to upgrade for the retina? Mini 2 has a retina display.

If the choice is between ipad Air2 and Mini3 it's a no brainer: Air2. If you're upgrading from an original Mini, it's a difficult one. Air2 has the beter specs, Mini2 has the (much) better price, especially the refurbs. Mini3 to me and most people isn't worth the extra 100. Air2 and Mini2 both have trade-offs. Vibration/rippling vs. gamut. For the price, the Mini2 really is a great offer.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I ended up going with air 2 over the retina mini's (my sights were set on the mini 2 as the mini 3 is a ripoff imo). So far I'm really glad I went with the air 2 it's awesome even if it is expensive. If you're on a budget though go for the mini.

TRC-WA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I don't get it. You have a Mini 2 but you want to upgrade for the retina? Mini 2 has a retina display.

My bad... I must have had an original Mini... non-retina. For some reason I was thinking mine was 2nd gen because I only bought it 3 months ago... ($199 at Walmart) I was thinking that each gen had a retina and non-retina version. (Maybe they do... I get confused easily LOL)

Anyway, I traded it. Best Buy gave me $200 for the Mini that I paid $199 for at Walmart 3 months ago.... not a bad deal. I also made it a point to stop off at the post office for the Best Buy 10% off movers coupon. Thanks to the OP in the Best Buy thread for that info.

I got the Air 2 128GB in Gold.... LTE version. Free activation and it's only an extra $10 a month on my Verizon plan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.