Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk808

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2015
Im in the exact same situation. I have the Ipad air 1 but Ive been using it less and less. I usually use it when laying down on my bed or the couch and its not really comfortable to use. Whether im typing or just browsing internet, i cant hold it up with one hand or type with two hands easily. I have pretty big hands too and I still feel some discomfort. Im considering a mini the next time I upgrade. A bigger screen isnt really a big deal to me either.

Only thing I dont like is that the mini 4 is less powerful than the Air 2, I may just wait for the mini 5 next fall lol

judethat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2007
It's really fast, a great update, screen and colours are very good. Missed the last IPad mini I had and this is the first I've had since the second generation. They have got it just right with this one and its light for carrying everyday. Decided this year to get the iPhone 6s and iPad mini 4, as although I like the 6plus I found I was not using it as the iPad mini replacement I thought it would be.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Air has noticeably better battery

Mini 4 has noticeably better display

Sound is similar with neither having the Air 2 vibration issue.

Just a personal choice on form factor, imo.

It would be hard for the Mini 4 to have a better display than the Air. It would great if it were merely as good. Check this evaluation of the Air, Air 2 and Mini 2 displays: http://www.displaymate.com/iPad6_ShootOut.htm

Reactions: vigilant

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Im in the exact same situation. I have the Ipad air 1 but Ive been using it less and less. I usually use it when laying down on my bed or the couch and its not really comfortable to use. Whether im typing or just browsing internet, i cant hold it up with one hand or type with two hands easily. I have pretty big hands too and I still feel some discomfort. Im considering a mini the next time I upgrade. A bigger screen isnt really a big deal to me either.

Only thing I dont like is that the mini 4 is less powerful than the Air 2, I may just wait for the mini 5 next fall lol
I kinda am wanting the mini 4 cause I find my air 1 to be awkward in some situations. Like especially when bringing it out of the house. The mini is still an iPad, and can still do more than my iPhone 6, but in a more convenient way than the air I think.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
It would be hard for the Mini 4 to have a better display than the Air. It would great if it were merely as good. Check this evaluation of the Air, Air 2 and Mini 2 displays: http://www.displaymate.com/iPad6_ShootOut.htm

I would agree that it probably looks better then the iPad Air 1. Just from the fact it's a laminated display and I don't think the iPad Air 1 had that.

From what I've "heard" the iPad Mini 4 has the same type of display then the iPad Air 2. This supposedly goes from display type down to being fully laminated. I believe the iPad Air 1 and iPad Air 2 have the same display, but iPad Air 2 has a fully laminated display.

Waiting for my iPad Mini 4 to ship from Verizon :-(

Hoping it comes in before the iPhone 6s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.