Mini 5 or 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dominiongamma, Jul 28, 2016.

1. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I need to get a new iPad soon but I haven't heard any rumors about the 5 yet should I pull the trigger for a 4 or wait until September ?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

First, iPads tend to be released later in the Fall, like October or November. So if you wait, you have a 3-4 months wait. And if no new mini is released this fall, you'd have waited for nothing. As for chances, I'd say 50-50. Perhaps a little more chance of no new mini, because Apple seems to be on the trend of less frequent updates for iPads.

3. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

Your right! I meant fall ish, guess I'm wondering if I will be missing anything besides faster speed if I get it now? Like 3D Touch or 4 speakers like the pro?

4. Andy-UK macrumors newbie

There are plenty of rumours about an iPad Mini 5 coming out this year so if you don't need a new machine straight away I'd say it's worth waiting a bit longer and either get the new one or pick up the current model at a discount.
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipad...features-september-price-thin-iphone-3593689/

5. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

I wonder if they'll release any new iPads that aren't "Pro", which would carry perhaps a 40% higher price than non-pro.

6. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you think it will have 3D Touch? The pro didn't even get that, I'm wondering if it will be more speakers and a speed bump only then. Does iPad mini usually get a keynote with the iPhone in September?

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Weren't there rumours that Apple were ditching the mini line going forward? Dunno hope not but with the plus some may think it's not needed

8. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

I like the mini it's nicer to hold and I have a plus, I hope they still make it, with SE back they should keep the mini.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I agree it's a great device. I had the mini 4 but sold it as I wasn't using my 6s plus enough as I have the 12.9 pro too. There are times when it's missed though.

10. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm debating if I should do a 12.9 or mini. I'm so on edge for both but leaning towards mini now.

11. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If you live in the US, I say go for the iPad mini 4 next time Best Buy offers it for $100 off.

It's still an awesome tablet and I don't see the next one getting so much better that you would regret buying this one. But you would regret not buying it if you waited for the iPad mini 5 and Apple doesn't announce one.

I'd be hesitant to buy one at full retail, but $100 off for a brand new one is a great deal.

12. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

When do they usually do the sales for them?

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

It seems like every few weeks or so. I watched them go on sale three or four times before I finally decided to sell my iPad mini 2 and buy one.

14. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Yeah Mini 4 is great, I say buy if a sale of $100 or more happens, otherwise maybe wait. :)

Kallum.

15. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

I was thinking also of doing a trade in with Apple for my iPad Air for 120 which isn't bad I guess and use the gift card towards the purchase at the Apple Store. Or I can do that anyways and purchase the iPad mini 4 on sale.

16. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If you could wait for the Best Buy sale, you'd only be paying $20 more vs. doing it that way but you'd still have your iPad Air that you could sell for a lot more than that, or at least sell it to someone you know who wants one for that extra $20.

Unless you absolutely need one now, I'd wait. You shouldn't have to wait longer than a couple of weeks and it would be worth the savings.

17. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

That's true I'll think I'll wait and hold onto my iPad Air for now, I'm assuming best but does daily emails since they send me deals everyday and will mention iPad mini if there is a sale going on?

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

No idea. I don't get their emails. I'd just check their site a few times a week to make sure.

19. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

I will do that, thanks for the info I'll keep checking the web site.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah it's tough. I would miss the bigger screen too much to ever get rid of my 12.9 but i do miss the mini for certain tasks.

21. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

3 days ago I got the 9.7, guess it's a good balance of the mini and 12 but I do love it :)