All iPads Mini and the 4. Just can't decide...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BFW122083, Nov 17, 2012.

1. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Bought a mini 2 weeks ago. LOVED the size, design, weight, etc. Couldn't get past the screen. Returned it and got the 4. Back to loving the display on the 4, but I can't stop thinking about the design of the mini. I think I want it back lol. I use my ipad for couch surfing and the occasional game. Anyone else feel conflicted over the two?

I know there are pros and cons to each model, but I really miss the form of the mini. Kind of torn on what to do. Anyone else in a similar boat?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get both. The small body of the mini is one of the key benefits of it.

3. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

My wife wouldn't like that lol.

4. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

as in...4 Minis

jk. get the iPad 4 - it's a BEAST

5. syd430 Guest

If you deal with text extensively, forget the mini

6. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on the 4 right now :). I just really love the size and design of the mini, but I have been spoiled by retina displays. Apple is really making me think on this one. I know that eventually there will be a retina mini, but why hold out? Enjoy what's available now if you can and sell/upgrade when available.

That screen just killed me. I did just sell my rmbp and get an air and it isn't bugging me at all, but for some reason the mini screen just hurt my eyes browsing and checking out forums.

7. Rodster macrumors 68040

Keep the 4 nuff said. Why punish yourself by using the Mini and getting eye bugout? Next year we may see the rMini, who knows but it's a possibility. That's when you unload the iPad 4. ;)

8. motty2307 macrumors regular

I was having the same problem and I was upgrading from the original iPad. Ended up going to Best Buy today and after seeing the Retina display on the iPad I was hooked. Since I use mine primarily at home I decided the smaller form factor wasn't a necessity for me like it may be with some people.

9. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

I think it comes down to where you use your iPad most often. I personally use mine mostly at home sitting on the couch so the lighter weight and smaller size, while appealing, is not as important. If I used my iPad more on the go, I'd suck it up and go for the mini despite the screen.

10. shadowjeff macrumors regular

Having the same dilemma right now. I was pretty fixed on getting the ipad 4 when entering the apple store but walked out with the ipad mini instead.

Now after using it, I'm thinking the ipad 4 might be better for me since I'll only use it at home. Main reason for me to get an ipad was to watch movies. But I found the ipad mini pretty small for watching movies, was watching the dark knight and pretty much half the screen was taken up by black bars. And I was comparing movie quality between ipad mini and the retina screen on iPhone 5, the iPhone 5 jut blows it out of the water in terms of color production.

However, the mini is still here because I love the size and weight, even for using it at home. You can actually hold it with one hand and not feel tired after hours of using it. The ipad 4 on the other hand is so heavy, I feel tired after using it for a few minutes. But I have a feeling that ill mostly not be holding the ipad/ipad mini since my usage usually consist of just putting it on the table and do web browsing. I'm holding the ipad mini a lot more because its new.

11. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Keep the 4. For your use, it's the better one.

12. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Save a little money and get the mini. Perfect for your needs. After using that small mini, holding that 4 seems weird I bet.

13. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

It does feel weird now. I've had every ipad version and never thought they were heavy, but after holding the mini it feels huge and outdated. Freakin mini screen, Apple is making me choose a compromise for the first time.

----------

Due to the couch surfing?

14. bmat macrumors 6502

I'm in a similar boat. Have a 3 and got a mini. Doesn't make sense to keep both, and I can only have one license for some work software--so I really have to choose. I want the portability of the mini, but browsing on the 3 is so much better than on the mini, due to the size and the retina.

15. aleni macrumors 68020

stick with the 4 for now, and hopefully there will be ipad mini pro later. high prices, but with retina and latest processor.