iPad mini Mini, AT&T and Hotspot

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ugcop, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

From day one with my mini, using my grandfathered unlimited AT&T I have been able to use it on LTE as a hotspot. I don't know why it allowed me to do it but it did so I just kept my mouth shut and enjoyed it.

This weekend I made the mistake of playing around with FaceTime. Of course it told me AT&T would only allow FT using LTE if I changed my plan to a "share" plan. Bam, all of a sudden my hotspot disappears. Sad face.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

3. cheezeit macrumors 6502

4. ugcop thread starter macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Tried restore. Even setup as new iPad. Hotspot came back but disappeared within a few minutes. I'm sure it is a simple on/off hidden in a file somewhere. It has to be addressable over the air as AT&T can turn it back on as soon as you give up the unlimited data plan and go to a shared plan.

5. iPagan macrumors regular

I wonder if you are the ONLY one who has experienced this.

From what I understand, the ATT unlimited plan on iPad does NOT have a hotspot feature. Almost THE reason why I'm hesitant to switch to a mini or iPad 4.

6. ugcop thread starter macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I'm sure if I had not messed with FaceTime I would still have the Hotspot. I don't know if AT&T can address the file system in the OS or if the key to activating it is stored on the Sim. I have an adapter so I am going to move the Sim over to my iPad 3 and see what happens.

As it was, it was really nice to use the mini until it needed to go back on charger, kick on the Hotspot and use it to send data to the 3. I have fast wifi at the house but LTE is super fast.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Restoring the iPad will in no way change the data plan that you are signed up on with AT&T. Also the unlimited data plan does not have tethering so it is unlikely that you will get your unlimited plan back and still be able to use tethering on it.

8. ugcop thread starter macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Duh, we understand all that but there was a glitch in the system from initial startup. We are just hoping to recreate it.