Mini audio ins and outs. mac Mini late 2012

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sean barry, Apr 28, 2014.

1. sean barry macrumors regular

I have Harman Kardon sound sticks hooked up to the mini (1/8" mini jack) output. The mini plug is TRS and the sticks have a TRS mini plug input. input.
    This is analog correct?
    I want to run my TV thru the sticks. My TV is also my monitor. The TV has an RCA digital audio out. Can I run the TV output into the Macs input jack?
    That would make a digital in and an audio out. Would that work? If so, what kind of cable would I need, RCA to mini TS (tip sleeve)? Does it matter if it's a made for digital cable.
    The TV also has a mini TRS headphone output, would that work?
    Thanks.

2. dbanderson1 macrumors member

No Input

Mac mini does not have an audio input (it has a microphone input, which is way different). Since you only have 3.5 mm input on the sound sticks you need a switch box. You will have to manually switch when going between tv and the mini.

or

If you are hooking your mac mini to your tv via hdmi you should be able to get your computer sound through the internal tv speakers. Then you want to connect your sound sticks to the tv, you may need an RCA to 3.5 mm cable (red and yellow to headphone size jack). Then whatever tv you watch as well as computer sound should come through your speakers.

NOTE: I can't believe they make 170 dollar speakers with one input.

3. sean barry thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Yep, I think mic impedance is way less than analog audio signal. Which would make the signal way to hot for the Mac right?
    I got the Sound Sticks for free from a friend that didn't think they worked any more. :D They work fine and kick butt!
    I am running the TV/monitor with HDMI so I will give your second suggestion a try.
    Thanks again.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That info is somewhat misleading.
    Macs don't use a mic (low-level) input. It's a line-level input, including an optical digital and analog input on the same combined connector. It's a reason why non-Apple headsets often do not work, because the headset mic doesn't have enough output for the Mac's input. A mic need to be a line-level mic, an amplified signal from a low-level mic, or a USB connection.

5. sean barry thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks delta. I did debanders second option and it works fine. TV headphone out to HK Sticks and now I have Computer and TV audio to the sticks, much better than the TV speakers!
    I will do some research on the audio I/Os
    Speaking of headset mics, do you folks have any knowledge which brands work best for speaking instead of typing?

Thanks again folks.

6. dbanderson1 macrumors member

Thanks for pointing this out to me... i always assumed it was a standard mic not line level (shows you how much i used it). Regardless i'm glad the second option worked... So what do people do with the line level in (I'm assuming its predominantly music recording correct?).