Mini C2D 2.0 or Xserve G5 2x2.0GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mustang_dvs, Jun 9, 2008.

1. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I'm conflicted...

I need a new web/mail server -- my 1.2GHz/1GB G4 Cube is no longer cutting it.

I have a line on a G5 dual 2.0GHz Xserve (2GB/2x80GB) for the same price as a new C2D 2.0GHz Mac Mini (which I'd modify to use an eSATA drive enclosure).

Other than a vanilla OS X Server 10.5 install, primary drain on the system are the primary image/PHP libraries (GD, ImageMagik, etc). The server has a relatively light user base.

Any insight/advice? Thanks!

2. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

i would get a mac mini just because it has an intel processor which means that it would last longer and newer softwares will still be compatible

3. netherfred macrumors member

Get the mini and save the whales! :D

Seriously, I think it's much cheaper in the end to get a small, energy-efficient, relatively up-to-date machine than the opposite. Plus it's got Intel, so like the previous poster said, it could run for a little longer.
    BTW, check http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2007/12/mac-performance-december-2007/ and you'll see that the mini is 2600/1600 = over 60% faster (at least the processor is).

4. mustang_dvs thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Netherfred -- thanks for that link (I've been scouring barefeats for that info).

As tempting as it is to get another Xserve (I had a couple of 1st gen models back at my old workplace), the (apparent) deprecation of PPC code in 10.6, the low processor scores of the G5 vs the C2D, and high noise (this will be placed in my home office) are having me lean toward picking up a refurb 2.0Ghz Mini and adding an eSATA connection to a RAID stack.

Now the issue is buy a refurb and have Apple intro a new mini tomorrow, or wait until September and buy a refurb and have Apple intro a new mini the very next day. :confused:

5. mustang_dvs thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Snow Leopard finalized the decision. A C2D 2.0 refurb is on its way.

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

If you ever need a mount to install it in under a desk or a tablet (including a miniStack under the Mac mini), send me a message. ;)

7. mustang_dvs thread starter macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

I'm probably just going to throw it, the ministack and the eventual failover mini onto a shelf on the server rack that holds my network switch, kvm, airport and router. I'm curious what mount you have, though.