Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottsdomain

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
I would like to have an offsite backup. I currently have a Mac Mini, and wouldn't mind moving it to another location, if I could find a reliable solution to keeping files in sync. (across the vast internet thingy)

I was thinking I could get a new one replace my local one. Then move this one to an offsite location (friend/family somewhere in another location) and then sync the files (certain folders) between them.

If it matters the data I am thinking I would like to keep in sync is my pictures folder which dates back to 2000 and is currently over 30G. Other prime candidates would be my Music, followed by Video!

heck... Also I really wouldn't mind if I could find a convenient way to sync across the wireless from my laptop for things like time machine. I currently use a USB drive for this, but wouldn't mind just using wireless! This seems to follow the same train of thought... mostly anyway... (Backup to my local machine, which then backs up offsite!)

Any ideas/other threads on this topic?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
For the colocation part: Have you considered Crashplan, Mozy, or another one of those type of sites? They'll keep your data on an encrypted cloud where their employees can't even access your data. I don't know of a non-ftp-like solution for doing this with massive amounts of data over the net if you want to use the other Mac Mini.

For the wireless Time Machine question, a Time Capsule can do it. It could replace your wireless router (and give you a simultaneous N-speed upgrade) and comes new in either 1 or 2 TB capacities.

ironruby

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
I use CrashPlan and have a subscription to backup to their CrashPlan Central servers. Unlimited storage, unlimited file versions, encryption, etc. A 4-year subscription is around $140.

The problem with syncing files between your Mac Minis is that you won't have previous versions. In other words, you'd have a redundant mirror rather than a backup. So for example, if you accidentally delete/corrupt a file then the damage will just sync to the other machine; if the damage is not noticed for several months, then you may not be able to recover.

In any case, you should still employ a local Time Machine backup and consider offsite backups to be your last line of defense.

Last edited:

scottsdomain

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2008
Thanks for the replies!

I will look into crashplan. Have not seen a true unlimited backup site yet! Interesting I didn't see limits...

If I used a site like this, I would have to limit my backups to personal data... (Which is all I have discussed here...)

I am currently using an extern USB driver for time machine, however think a wireless solution would be more convenient!

I have a wireless N Linksys router, so an apple version wouldn't be an "upgrade" but a side step! I have a mini with about 4T external storage attached! It would be nice if I could somehow map to the mini from my laptop and use time machine that way!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Thanks for the replies!

I will look into crashplan. Have not seen a true unlimited backup site yet! Interesting I didn't see limits...

If I used a site like this, I would have to limit my backups to personal data... (Which is all I have discussed here...)

I am currently using an extern USB driver for time machine, however think a wireless solution would be more convenient!

I have a wireless N Linksys router, so an apple version wouldn't be an "upgrade" but a side step! I have a mini with about 4T external storage attached! It would be nice if I could somehow map to the mini from my laptop and use time machine that way!

Crashplan free uses local storage and could be a second layer of defense after Time Machine. For your colo backups, you will need a paid version of crashplan. I'm considering this myself. For now, I'm still tinkering with our network doing things like making DHCP reservations for machines I need to connect to so they don't move around on me. Another thing I'm considering is buying a family pack of crashplan so everybody's stuff gets backed up off site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.