Mini Display/HDMI Adapter for PS3/Xbox 360 to iMac 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by h4keem, May 14, 2011.

1. h4keem macrumors member

Firstly, apologies for bringing up a topic which seems to have been covered endlessly for the past several years but I just cannot find an up to date thread for this discussion.

OK so I have an iMac 27" purchased brand new in January 2010, I have the PS3 Slim and I want to play through my monitor since I don't have much space in my apartment for a big TV as well.

So I heard there are three adapters, Belkin, Kanex and Apogee all at about £100 each I have heard these all function well and provide a good 720p display.

I recently however came across this on eBay US : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290564600427#ht_1736wt_952
    I was wondering if that is a Good Option to go for, I have not heard of the company before but there Website seems Legitimate enough.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind Regards.

Hakeem.

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

I looked at this and finally decided that the Atlona model seemed the best overall. More expensive than your $40 model. You have a very nice, expensive computer with an amazing display so why do you want to risk having a bad picture for something that requires immediate reaction like PS3 games.

3. h4keem thread starter macrumors member

Hi Cheers for the Reply. I appreciate your feedback on the matter. Once question I would like to ask is that do you think that the $40 model will function properly with the 27" iMac ? Thanks.

4. MastahUK macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry to hijack your thread h4keem but I've been looking around trying to find a recent answer to this problem as well and wondered if you'd managed to find a good solution?

I've got the 2011 iMac 27" so I've got 2 thunderbolt ports at my disposal...I know they're capable of input and output so I was wondering if theres an adaptor I can use to plug my PS3 into it?

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I'm afraid there's no solution for the new iMacs yet, bud. Only the 2009 and 2010 ones accept the adapters. Best company to keep an eye on are Atlona, they had the original adapter out before anyone else, but it was bloody expensive at the time, it's likely that a new thunderbolt version isn't gonna be cheap either.

6. Dresevski macrumors 6502

There is still no adapter for TB and the old adapters for $40 and such are for outputting from mDP to HDMI. Meaning they go one way and you can't input through them. You need the powered connection for the signal change

7. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Whats the reason why all those adapters only provide maximum 720p for the 27" iMac and 1080p for the 21" iMac? Really annoying. Should be the other way around or same at least. :mad:

Even though I'm personally waiting for such device for the
    Thunderbolt port instead. But i I suspect it will have this same issue as the previous iMacs.

8. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bought a $25 adaptor from and it works perfectly with my friend's 2010 27" iMac for playing PS3.

9. h4keem thread starter macrumors member

Hi mate could you share a link for this site you bought this of ? Cheers.