Mini-Display - HDMI cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bcburrows, Sep 4, 2011.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Bought one of these recently - from ebay, pretty cheap, but
    the image quality is not that great, not as good as my DVI cable connection....

Anyone had much experience with this
    Cable quality issue?
    Settings issue?

Also no sound

I guess I am pretty sure of the answer already but if anyone has any experience would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I recently bought this one from Amazon UK for £15...

1.8m - Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cable by Neet®

Good image quality and transmits sound (I've got a Thunderbolt MBP). The only annoying thing is that the Mac can't change the volume via the function keys, you have to use the controls on the external monitor. I guess I could have spent £600 more and bought a Thunderbolt Display, but it's not THAT annoying!

Could be that the cable you bought isn't wired for sound - horrible Cliff Richard reference there!

On a side note, I found it a PITA to have to go into System Prefs to change the speaker output choice between monitor and MBP. An easier way of changing source is to hold down the alt key and click on the speaker icon in the menu bar - you'll see a menu with a list of all available audio input and output devices...

3. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Sound issues

When you connected the cable, do you need to have the monitor on first or does the sound work automatically?

Also have you noticed any difference between the quality of text and the quality of video

to me,
    with the HDMI cable, text looks ropey, but video fine
    with the DVI cable, both look great, but then audio is only from the MBP

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The sound just works automatically when the cable is connected, even if the laptop/monitor are on already. You should see your monitor listed as an audio output device in System Prefs.

As for DVI v HDMI, can only speak for the latter. Had no real problem with the quality, although my expectations are not too high (using a Benq EW2430). Anti-aliasing is quite noticeable on smaller fonts (<8pt), but still readable.