Mini Display port - 27" cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tracer1, Mar 21, 2013.

1. tracer1 macrumors member

tracer1

I have 2 mac pro's (5,1), one is an 8 core & one is a 4 core. Both have the gt120 video cards, which work fine. I also have two 27" apple cinema displays with the 3 cables consisting of a magSafe, USB, & min DP (which plugs into the GT120). Now I also have a NVidia GeForce 550ti & a ATI Radeon 6770, of which have the HDMI connections. Now here is the question: is there such a adapter that can connect to the 27" mini-DP cable (which I think is a male), then plug into the HDMI connection on the video card(s). The mini DP adapter would have to be female( I'm guessing, here) to connect to the male plug (guessing again) that comes from the display, then the HDMI connector to connect to the card. Yes, both cards are flashed & work fine with the DVI to a regular monitor but would like to use them with my cinema displays. Hopefully a cable such as this would utilize the video portion to the HDMI, as the audio is from the USB cable, I think.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated & if I need to clarify any info, let me know.

Thanks,
    tracer1

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Not cheaply. Displayport is "backwards" compatible with HDMI/DVI but DVI is not compatible with Displayport. You would need some kind of active converter like this:

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Dual-Link-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-USB-Powered.html

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Also, HDMI currently only supports resolutions up to 1920x1080.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Actually that may not be true. Hdmi supports up to 4096k x 2160 depending on what hdmi version used. In the minis And rMBP Apple has capped the resolution to 1920x1200 but on a PC Card that limitation may not exist. So theoretically an HDMI port can support the full resolution of am ACD if the HDMI port is not artificially capped.