Mini-Display Port+Audio out??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cornopaez, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

So, has anyone heard anything about the possibility of the Mini Display Port being able to carry out sound along with video? I'm wondering cause there's an adapter that I found on the internet that connects MDP-HDMI and says it supports audio out as long as the souce supports audio out through the MDP.

Comments? Suggestions? Anything?

MP

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. cornopaez thread starter macrumors regular

cornopaez

4. MAC SHAQ macrumors newbie

quote from the link.
    Almost a typical case of R.T.F.M.....:D

5. semitry macrumors member

Is the hardware capable? Ie would snow leopard possibly give us the ability to pass audio? If not how are we suppose to get 5.1+ audio?

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

though the optical audio out port?

7. NickM macrumors 6502

I didn't learn until just recently that the headphone jack on my new MacBook Pro is also an optical port. I need some conversion cable to go from the 1/8" plug to optical on the other end. I had wondered about getting 5.1 signal myself, and that appears to be what I need. Hopefully soon I will get one.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Disappointed that Mini DisplayPort doesn't carry audio, only the standard DisplayPort does similar to that of HDMI. So instead of running just one cable, two is needed. Hopefully later revisions will have a full sized DisplayPort

9. NickM macrumors 6502

Do many things out there actually use "display port"?
    To be honest, before I got my first Mac recently, I've never heard of "display port" before... and I always liked to think that I was pretty hip to current audio/video technology.
    I have a few devices that I use HDMI for video, but honestly, I've never used it for audio... if I had a really nice receiver and ran everything (audio and video) through it, then I'd probably like to use HDMI for both audio and video.
    One day I'll have lots of money to blow just on a really nice receiver.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes the digital output via the SPDIF/Optical is 7.1

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Here you go.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I just got one of those earlier this month. Very sweet, although iTunes apparently doesn't output sound in 5.1. Haven't tried it with DVD player since I have a Blu-ray Disc player hooked up to the same sound system.

13. NickM macrumors 6502

Nice! Thanks :)

14. kurn macrumors newbie

I too am curious if this is a software or hardware limitation. It would be nice if Snow Leopard (or even Windows 7!) would enable the use of audio via the mini display port.

15. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Wow. Do you guys read the whole post? It has been said that it's a hardware limitation.

16. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

We don't know if its a hardware limitation. Mini DisplayPort is pin-pin compatible with the full DisplayPort, its just smaller (similar to mini-USB).

17. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Wow! I didn't know the 3.5mm jack was also optical out capable.

Looked into the port and i'll be damned! It certainly is capable.

18. kurn macrumors newbie

Yes, I did. Unless I missed something, nothings been said about the Mini itself being capable of putting an audio signal on the mini display port. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone knows for sure besides Apple.

19. NickM macrumors 6502

What if I'm looking into my headphone jack and I DON'T see the red light?
    Does it need to be turned on somehow??
    Please advise...

20. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Please read this again! Mini DisplayPort is FULLY compatible with DisplayPort. Anything that DisplayPort can do, Mini DisplayPort can do. The only question is if Apple has enabled the ability to route audio through the MDP connector. They haven't come out and said one way or another. However, if the hardware does have the ability then it would seem somewhat silly to redesign the 24" Cinema Display with a MDP connector, and then route audio through USB (although the USB connector would still be needed for the iSight camera).

I'm guessing that this generation of MDP devices doesn't have the ability to route audio through MDP, even though the spec supports it. Just a guess...

21. ALERT macrumors newbie

Yeah I had also wondered whether is there such a thing to convert 3.5mm headphone jack to Toslink output

Was going to post a question about this when I chance upon this thread. Thanks for sharing guys. :)

22. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

just a thought, does the cinema display have a mic? if so then can the mini-displayport send the mic signal back to the computer?

maybe that is why they use usb for audio so the usb handles everything for the isight.

23. guyrws macrumors newbie

Audio does work

Hello,

I am nor sure if things have changed in the last 2 years but I have been trying to get audio to work via MDP to HDMI, and have been surfing groups to find out how but it seems that many people have had no luck.

But with a little trial and error, I found that the video sets itself up (plug and play) however the audio settings need selecting and hey presto the audio does work.

Hope my maiden post helps.
    Regards Guy.

24. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

As you noted this is a two year old thread, tip 101 don't zombify threads, i believe its against the rules (Can't remember) and anyone who commented on it previously has probably left. It also is no longer true as in the post 2010 MBPs Audio works fine.