Mini Display Port is awesome!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjahshik32, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I noticed that even using the mbp in dual monitor mode with the mini display port, never lags or feels like the graphics stutter like it used to with using it via dvi on the 23" ACD.

Its due to the much higher bandwidth that the mini display port can output. Not to mention the mini display port is so damn small its so convenient!

2. cryonic49 macrumors member

that's hilarious.. dvi bandwidth causing lags... haha

3. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Never experienced any stutter/lags/whatever on my early 2k8 MBP with my 23" ACD.

4. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

I do very much like its tip size:D, didn't like the big bulky dvi tips.:mad:

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

These are the ones that know, probably the professionals.

These seem to be the ones that don't.

Good luck with that dual link DVI connector that you may need if you ever wanted to go with a current 30" monitor. Since they carry the old dusty DVI connector.

I'll like it once it becomes adopted by ALL tech companies as a standard, and Apple offers a matte display option.

6. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

These? :rolleyes:

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Posters/users/forum members.... take your pick. :rolleyes:

8. shoopaman macrumors 6502

shoopaman

strange:rolleyes:

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Maybe. ;)

10. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

When you use the mbp + 23' acd via dvi in dual monitor mode it does not run as fast as when you have the mbp in closed shell mode + the 23" ACD.

Oh I have tried it and tested it even with a 17" mbp (which runs dual monitor mode a bit faster than the 15" mbps). The display port used in dual monitor mode runs the same speed as when the mbp is in closed shell mode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Just read what the display port offers.

11. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Dvi

DVI can output digital signals uncompressed, meaning that it has a great bandwith. DVI just does not lag, maybe there was some problem with your Mac. Besides that wouldn't even be a reason for it to lag, it would just show a lower resolution. The only thing about DVI is it's bigger size, but let's face it the MBP is still just 1 inch thick, even the last gen one, which is great.

12. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I wouldnt say lag per say. Just try this and I'm 100% that you will experience this. If you use your mbp with your external monitor in dual monitor mode, meaning the mbp is not in clamshell mode it will still run fast enough.

Now compare this, use your mbp in closed shell mode and run your external monitor. Now you will see that it runs a bit faster like it runs much closer to when you have your mbp without an external monitor.

Even doing more multitasking the mbp in clamshell mode connected to the external display will run much faster and more natively than it is in dual monitor mode.

But this isnt the case with the new mbp via mini display port with the 24" acd. I cannot tell the difference whatsoever if using the mbp in clamshell mode or in dual monitor mode, it runs exactly the same.

13. mcnicks macrumors regular

Could it not just be that the new MBP has a better graphics card in it?

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

Exactly. I can notice that using the 9400M, bringing up Expose etc is noticeably "chuggier" on my 2.53Ghz model. Switching to the 9600M is much, much smoother. There's zero difference between using this LED display and my previous 23" ACD.

15. cryonic49 macrumors member

*sigh*

Look, if you are noticing a slow down in dual screen mode, it means the graphics chipset is not keeping up with the added resolution (or Apple/Nvidia's graphics driver sucks, which is btw, true).

DVI(single link) is designed to handle resolutions up to 1920x1200. Not to mention the ports on MBP's are dual link DVI which supports up to 2560x1600 (not that it matters if the monitor doesn't utilize it).

I like the MDP's size. But I think Apple failed due to lack of adapters. Where is MDP to DP adapter? MDP to HDMI? Don't even get me started on the $100 MDP to dual link POWERED adapter.... Looks like we have to wait for third party providers.

There is no inherent lag in dvi. EOT.

16. akm3 macrumors 68020

I like Mini display port because it is a very thing, easy to plug and unplug cable, that holds in firmly, and can't be misinserted, and pins can't be bent.

It is just really easy, small and convenient.

17. WilliamG macrumors 604

Depending on your uses, it IS easy, small and convenient. My wife works for IBM, though, and has to travel doing conferences etc, and it's a TOTAL pain to have to carry adapters to plug into projectors etc etc. And, honestly, aside from the Apple LED display, what benefit is it right NOW? Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my MBP and my LED display, but for most people NOW, Mini Displayport is an absolutely pain in the butt.

18. akm3 macrumors 68020

No, I agree it is a hassle in today's world, but if you are only concerned with fitting into today's world, progress doesn't happen, OR you find modern laptops that still have serial and parallel ports on them. Neither is desirable.

I happily carry around my adapters and show off multi-touch which really impresses people when they try it themselves.

The MBP will likely always require some sort of adapter, but that's OK with me!