Mini Display Port is just another source of Income

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by odinsride, Oct 14, 2008.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Anyone notice Apple is charging an additional USD $30 for the DVI to Mini Display Port adapter?

WTG Apple!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sucks, but in this economy who didn't see that coming?

4. DanTheMan macrumors member

Yeah that is completely LAME, the whole point of the MacBook Pro is not to have to compromise and now if you have one you have to always look for a damn dongle in order to content to an external monitor (which I do on a daily basis) or a projector. Boo!
    :mad:

5. mlmorg macrumors member

It's actually $100.

A mini display port to dual-link dvi (which was built into the old mbp's) is $100 extra.

ridiculous. thats all i have to say.

6. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Sounds just like what we heard when they started charging for the Apple Remote.

You just have to learn to deal with it.

7. marvel2 macrumors 6502

They better include the adapter. A lot of the old Cinema Display owners are going to be unhappy.

8. mlmorg macrumors member

it's not included...and yes lots of unhappy people

9. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

I really don't see what reason they have to switch to this new port. Isn't DVI pretty much standard? It's like they're forcing the new port down our throats and then MAKING us buy an adapter to be able to use it. That's not cool imo.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I'm guessing this has something to do with it.

http://www.apple.com/displays/

[​IMG]

11. mlmorg macrumors member

Well supposedly it's the new industry standard, correct? So we will be seeing a lot of displays with this new port? Or will it be a new APPLE industry standard in which you buy only apple products or you pay $100 bucks for an adapter..."No more multiple-pin connectors with unwieldy screws" or the ability to use your computer with everything else on the market, it's a hard choice.

12. Pope Jawn Pawl macrumors member

As long as I can get a mini display port to ADC adapter, I'll be good to go.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I always left my Powerbook's dongle attached to my CRT monitor's cable. I did the same with my current MB. I don't see this as being any different.

14. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

And still no support for HDCP in the new display, further reinforcing that Apple does not give two damns about Blu-ray (just as I predicted). And just to think there were tons of people waiting to see BD drives make it into MBPs...

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I felt the same way about loosing SCSI and serial. How dare they force USB and Firewire down my throat. Definitely not cool.

16. djellison macrumors 68020

What the HELL

"Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter [+ £61.10]"

SIXTY QUID!!! SIXTY BLOODY QUID. That's obscene.

I'm keeping my current MBP for a LONG time.

17. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

did you notice the 99dollars for mini ds to dual link dvi bah.

edit: display port will be the new standard. soo much better then dvi and hdmi

18. DanTheMan macrumors member

Yeah that's my point, we're talking about the MacBook Pro, a product geared towards professionals and I don't see the reasoning whether it be cost or size savings since we pay a premium (at least $700) and want lots of inputs/outputs. Before I had to worry about one DVI to VGA (that was included) adapter now if I were to get the new MBP I would need to worry about carrying two adapter (DVI and VGA) both of which I need to pay for.

19. Coldwater macrumors member

I'm real happy my monitor has display port built right in. Apple isn't getting an extra dime out of me! :D

20. danny_w macrumors 601

Well somebody sure is, and the minidisplayport connector is proprietary to Apple right now, so, it looks like Apple will be getting your money.

21. Coldwater macrumors member

My assumption is they'd include a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. You are saying it doesn't ship with any cables at all? I didn't see an option to buy it in the store...

22. danny_w macrumors 601

Yeah, I didn't see it in the store either, but I also didn't see it in the "In the Box" listing for the MBP. I guess we'll have to wait and see from reviews.

23. Mackan macrumors 65816

No they aren't. Apple controls what you can mini display port for, which is for converting to mini-dvi and dvi. Forget HDMI and full size displayport...