Mini display port needs adapter for 30" cinema, bad product?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lukester, Dec 27, 2009.

1. lukester macrumors 6502

I am thinking about buy a 30" cinema and it should work fine with my 2007 MBP which has the older style dvi port, but I am thinking about upgrading my MBP to the new quad when they come out.

However as you know they all use the mini display port and I will need to buy this god aweful adapter for $99 which after doing a bunch of research has tons of negative feedback. I will have to be nuts buying a 30" display and then can't use it without problems.

Any one have any good results using that apple adapter on large screens?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Why would you need to buy a Mini DisplayPort for the new quad MacBook Pro if and when they come out? The new Cinema displays are ready to be used with the MacBook Pro's that have the Mini DisplayPort (if I'm not mistaken...). If you're talking about the adaptor for your 2007 MacBook Pro, don't buy from Apple. Try looking at other places such as Monoprice which offer the same adaptor for cheaper.

3. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the new 24" glossy has the mini, I am talking about the 30" cinema screen.

4. cube macrumors G5

The Dell 3008WFP has DisplayPort and much more.

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Well who knows by the time we get quad core MBPs we might see an update to the 30in display and it would then definitely have display port... though they might make it glassy vs the matte one depending on what you like.

6. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I would assume that everyone that uses the dual-link DVI / mini-displayport adapter are doing so with large displays. :)

I had thought that the issues had been addressed by apple with those adapters...someone should be chiming in soon to set the record straight i'm sure.

7. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

It's been holding me back now in making a decision.
    I want a new monitor now and if that adapter will not work with the 30" monitors then it would be stupid for me to get one knowing I may have more problems down the line..

8. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

bump...

Have MBP to 30" screens been working better?

9. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I agree. Why not simply look at a Dell Ultrasharp 30" or the HP small business equivalent monitor? It should be the same panel, just without the aluminum casing.

10. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

How well does the 30" (3007WFP) work with that dual link adapter?

11. lukester thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know.
    I have the older MBP with the dvi. I got the 30" cinema last week, refurbished, and it works fine except for the hinge which I cannot tighten.
    I found out I had a bad video card when I brought the display and MBP to Apple to check it out.
    The sent the cinema back to apple for repair, and fixed my MBP with a new Logic card/video. I was a month over on my apple care but the fixed it for free. I don't know what that would have cost.
    I am hoping that when I get the cinema back the problem is resolved that I had.
    The monitor is awesome otherwise.

12. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

I've found the standard MDP to DVI to work fine to drive a 30" dell DVI-D at native res of 2560x1600

13. tdream macrumors 65816

It fills the screen at 1200x800

14. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Those Displays are WAY outdated, don't buy one, the new LED ones should come out soon, better wait for the new MBP, than wait a bit for the new ones, they could come out with the new MBP's or maybe they'll come out in June, If you really need a display buy the 24" and then sell it and get the 30" one when it comes out or buy a cheaper other brand one, your choice

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

No they're not. There have been no significant improvements to IPS displays for quite a while so the only drawbacks of many current 30" displays are the lack of OSD, scaler and connections. The panels themselves are still perfectly fine. Just changing the backlighting to LED has its own set of problems so it's not clearly superior to CCFL backlight.

The market for 30" displays is not huge so manufacturers don't bother updating them very often.

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The 30" ACD does not have support for miniDisplayport. Only the newer 24" ACD does. I had the same dilemma. I have a uMBP with mDP and was looking at the 30" ACD. There was so much negative feedback about the required $99 mDp->dlDVI adapter, I went for the Dell 3008WFP instead. I ended getting it new for $1399 and only needed a $5 mDP->DP adapter cable. I can also use the HDMI port it has for my XBox 360. In the end the Dell was a far better deal and the better choice. In addition it has native RGB controls for white-point calibration. The ACD does not.