Mini Display Port..now I'm confused.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MazingerZ, Oct 15, 2008.

1. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

Ok, I have the new MBP and two MB's on the way.

My current MBP is connected to my Dell 30" Monitor. Does this mean I need the new 99 adapter and not the 29 one?

Damn it, this is so confusing!:mad:

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

IF you was to buy a one of those new MacBooks/MacBookPro, you'll need this lead, just so you can extend the desktop to an external display... but if you have the older MacBook/MacBookPro, then you needn't change your current work flow.

3. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I thought that was only for the Apple Cinema Displays. I'm starting to get confused too and I'm not even buying a new computer.

ETA: Never mind, I guess it's only required if your monitor has a DVI connector. My monitor has a VGA connection so I would only need the $29 dongle if I were buying.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, if the monitor works with DVI, there is a $29 DVI adapter.
    The $99 adapter is only needed if the monitor is Dual-Link DVI. :)

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Thanks for clarifying. Good information to know if I'm ever asked.

I just realized (five minutes ago) that my monitor has an optional DVI connection. Should I be connecting that way instead of VGA?

6. MacBass macrumors 6502

MacBass

Yes, DVI is much more crisp and responsive because it is digital.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

From what I've read, DVI is supposed to be better because the video signal stays digital from start to finish (whereas with VGA, the video signal is converted from digital to analog).

The only monitor I've switched back and forth between VGA/DVI on is this cheap 24" Dell one at work, and I didn't notice a big difference. :confused:

If you already have a DVI cable for your monitor, I'd get the DVI adapter for your Mac and use that. If you only have the VGA cable, I'd probably just order the VGA adapter for the Mac.

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

What's more confusing is the way Apple made it a mini port like display port was too large to fit on the casing, and that they didn't even make much use of the saved space...

They just turned the MBP into a real consumer product. It pains me to know that Apple really just cares about looks and nothing else with their pro laptops. Performance takes a second seat to making notebooks for spoiled suburban children that view Facebook 18 hours a day on a 17" hi def screen.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, what they did was finally create a consistent method for connecting their notebooks to external displays. Used to be a MacBook had to have a different adapter than an Air, which were both different than the Pro. Now they're all the same.

I'd imagine that the iMacs will get it next refresh (along with the minis, should they ever get refreshed).

I don't think this switch was about 'saving space' at all.

10. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Thanks for answering my question about DVI/VGA.

My monitor came with both the DVI and VGA cables. I already had a VGA adapter for my MacBook so I just automatically picked the VGA cable to connect to the monitor. I didn't even look at the other cable so I didn't know what it was. This thread made me revisit it and that's when I realized it was a DVI connector. I still have the display box and manual outside in storage.

I will probably stick with the VGA until I upgrade my notebook and then switch to the DVI. No sense in purchasing an "old" DVI adapter for my Core Duo MacBook when I plan on upgrading in 2009.

11. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It had to be, why else would they stick a proprietary 'mini display port' on it. We were all clamoring for consistency yes, but definitely not in this proprietary format.

In the end, we are still using adaptors to connect to other displays, and I hope that Apple is making an updated Apple Cinema without the glass cover.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Is there a non-proprietary format adapter that would allow connecting to VGA, DVI, and Dual-Link DVI that's physically small enough to fit into the Air (because if Apple wants to be consistent across the entire line, they're limited to whatever their smallest computer is capable of physicall squeezing in size-wise)?

Yup. And for once, it'll be the same adapter no matter which new Mac notebook its for. :)

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Apple building a Professional laptop around the MacBook Air?? We are supposed to make sacrifices for a gain in something, not simply because of style.

But if you get a MacBook, you are only interested in one type of adaptor. When Apple could have put a full sized ports on it and did away with the need of an adaptor all together.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

You agreed that "we were all clamoring for consistency". Well, if a solution is going to be consistent, it has to work on all MacBook models. Otherwise it's not consistent. :confused:

If they put the same DVI port on the MacBook as they did on the Pro, then everyone connecting to VGA monitors (or needing S-Video) would still need an adapter.

If you had a prior model MacBook and wanted to connect to VGA, you had to choose from Apple's DVI->VGA adapter, Mini-DVI->VGA adapter, and Micro-DVI->VGA adapter. Point being, there were three different VGA adapters (depending on which model of MacBook you have).

Now there's only one VGA adapter, and it works with any MacBook model (Pro, Air, or regular MacBook).

It simplifies things greatly, and allows for products like the new Cinema Display, which has one cable with one adapter that will connect to any new MacBook model, from consumer to Pro.

I guess I'm not seeing what the sacrifice is, other than Pro users having to use a cable for DVI for the first time (like the rest of the MacBook model users have been doing forever).

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

As I read and understand it now. Apple just didn't have the room for even a full sized Display Port. With the drive and battery taking up the entire front half of the book Apple needed to go mini to fit the current casing.

Now that I have a reason it's a little easier to swallow.

16. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

don't drink the kool aid guys. this isn't a positive step apple has made here.

DVI is the current standard. That means that if the machine can fit a DVI port on the side, which all the macs except the MBA can (a DVI port is the same height as ethernet), then it should have the standard DVI port. The Mini Display port would be great if it were the industry standard, but it's not, so Apple should provide the standard. If the standard doesn't fit on the machine, like the MBA, then apple should invent a smaller connector and provide the adapter for it.

They should have learned from the Apple Display Connector issues.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

Below is the MacBook's logic board. I really don't see where they could have squeezed a full-sized DVI port on the side.

[​IMG]

18. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Actually, now that I've read a little more and found that the mini display port is actually an industry standard that (hopefully) will be adopted in the next 2 years, I'm not so against it.

19. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Yup, just do some wikipedia reading on DisplayPort and you will see that it is backed by quite a few companies (including Apple obviously). DisplayPort is supposed to be the next standard for connecting a display to a computer. Display port also allows for many other things to come over that one connection, do some reading and you will see that DisplayPort is not so evil.

20. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

That just makes me wonder why Jobs didn't mention that. Every other time (that I can think of) they've been the first to use a new standard, they've talked ALOT about how this will be the new standard and they're just first, not just trying to lock mac users into a different standard. They did this with USB, Firewire, and Airport.

Now, does the fact that it's a standard mean that we'll see a lot of DisplayPort>DVI cables and adapters from the small guys like belkin? If that's the case then I'm sold.

21. danny_w macrumors 601

Then you need to read some more. Display Port is a new "standard", but Mini Display Port is not, it is Apple proprietary.

22. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Well that sucks. iFixIt said it's DisplayPort here in step 5. Do you have a reference?

23. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think Dell's been using regular DisplayPort for a few months now. Maybe Steve doesn't mention it if Apple's not the very first. :D

24. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Here we go:

Apple uses their own miniaturized version of DisplayPort called Mini DisplayPort

So, even though DisplayPort had a small enough connector to fit on the new macs (it's about the same width as VGA without the thumbscrews, and shorter), Apple decided to make Mini DisplayPort to make it even smaller make us buy adapters if we use anything but the latest Apple displays.

25. clinto89 macrumors newbie

clinto89

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about:confused:. It's new tech and you can label it however you'd like but, I really don't think Apple is going to change it. I'm sure they did it to make some money, there's no doubt in my mind but, I also think Apple is trying to do what they think is best for the customers. Like many of you have said, people were asking for consistency and now that consistency has been delivered you're making a huge deal about how annoying it is. GET OVER IT:eek:!