Mini display port on new mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by askywalker, May 24, 2010.

1. askywalker macrumors regular

I just ordered a new 15" mbp, and a 24" Dell ultrasharp with display port. I am a bit confused about the cables I need. The Dell monitor arrived with some interesting looking cables that look like they might be displayport - but the mbp looks much smaller (mini). I have searched amazon and apple stores looking for the cable or adapter that I need, but I am not clear. I assume I can get the mini displayport to dvi or HDMI, but that seems silly when my monitor supports displayport ...

Any suggestions?

2. Kevlar macrumors 6502

The dell screen will have a full displayport, the Macbook a mini-displayport. If you want a good non-expensive cable look on monoprice.com and you can get a mini-displayport to displayport cable.

3. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

Monoprice is awesome, but I am in japan and need something quicker. Hoping the apple store or amazon has something...

It looks like I may have to do a dvi thing - there don't seem to be any mini displayport to full displayport cables that I can find.

4. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

What cables does the 2010 MBP ship with?

Does the 2010 MBP ship with any dongles for mini-displayport?

I have a Santa Rosa 15" MBP - it shipped with dongles for DVI to VGA, and a remote.

I am thinking that the 2010 MBP's aren't shipping with as many 'frills' - since I heard there are no remotes. I went ahead and found a $30 'generic' mini-displayport to displayport cable from Amazon Japan. Crossing my fingers that it will do the job...

I will be wanting to connect it to HDMI (our TV), but figure I will wait to get it from an Apple store - as I will want it to support audio and video, which I have heard some cables/converters will not do. Sure would make things easier if Apple would support HDMI!

5. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Yeah, they don't ship with much. You're lucky you get a power cord with a MBP let a lone a remote or dongle. :D

6. askywalker thread starter macrumors regular

Just thought I would follow up on my thread, as I ended up finding a very nice cable... Cost me 2150 yen including tax, which works out to about $22.

I got a displayport cable from Amazon (Japan) and it is working very nicely with my new Dell Ultrasharp 24".

I know it isn't the 2711 - but I had trouble finding an adapter- but ended up ordering this:
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

It is the 'ATS Direct Mini DisplayPort/DisplayPort'. I love it - as it has no dongles, and even seems to do a very smooth job carrying the audio over displayport... The cable is a nice, white Mac looking cable.