Mini Display port stopped working!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Aug 8, 2010.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I have a year old 17" MBP. I use it with a 24" Dell and have had no problems. Occasionally I hook it up to my HDTV with a long HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Tonight I wanted to watch something so I unplugged the Dell and plugged in the TV, but nothing happened. I noticed on my MBP everything was on the one screen as if dual display was not working. I unplugged the mini display port, screen goes blue for a sec, and the same screen comes back up. Plug it back in, screen goes blue for a sec, and the same screen comes up. Repeat, same results. The Dell when unplugged says "no dvi signal" but plugged in is black.

Restarted 3 times, repaired permissions.... nothing.

Has anyone else encountered this?

2. allforpiratebay macrumors member

Yeah,
    I had gfxCardStatus installed and it was set on integrated - i encountered a similar situation. MBP only use discrete card to output.
    Mite not be the case though.

3. acribb macrumors regular

Had the same issue on mine. Resetting the PRAM and NVRAM fixed it.

4. circularforward macrumors 6502

Have you checked to see if your mdp-to-dvi adapter is ok? I had my mdp-to-dvi adapter go out on me and had it replaced by Apple.

5. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

reset PRAM, didn't work.

Went to Apple Store, turned out my adpater (MiniDisplay to DVI) cable died.

The genius told me be careful with HDMI TV's as since they carry a current (when using a HDMI to DVI adapter) they can blow your adapter.

They replaced it and it's working fine now!

6. circularforward macrumors 6502

Hmm, that's good to know. Also, when I had my problem, I looked online, and it seemed quite a few had their adapters die on them. It doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem.

7. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

I use a direct mini display port to HDMI adapter with no problems, you might want to try out one of those adapters.