Mini Display port to DVI adapter to then VGA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Dec 28, 2008.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Is it possible to go from a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter to then a VGA, so you can use the VGA end to connect to a CRT display or projector?

Using a connector like this:

[​IMG]

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Do you already have the mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter?

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

No ,but I do have the dvi - vga adapter, so I thought it would be cheaper, and less wires, if I could do it through dvi - vga.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It's not possible because Mini displayport to DVI only carries the digital signal, not digital and analog and because VGA uses analog it won't work.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

But you're attaching the cable onto the dvi end of the cable, so shouldn't the signal be converted? I'm hoping this works too, as I don't want to purchase a mini displayport to VGA adapter for just 1 day.

6. astudentis macrumors regular

yea i know eh... normally to connect to monitor, you are most often going to use dvi.... but to give presentations once in a while... you need vga to connect to those projectors

7. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

The standard DVI connector contains both the digital and analogue output. A DVI to VGA adaptor (not a converter) simply takes the analogue output and puts it through a VGA plug.

Mini Display Port also carries digital and analogue outputs and the DVI adaptor will only carry the digital output so putting a DVI to VGA adaptor on will not produce a picture. You need to buy the display port to VGA adaptor.

8. 11800506 macrumors 65816

As I understand it to be, the Mini displayport to DVI is carries a DVI-D signal which is solely digital. Regular DVI is often a DVI-I signal which carries both digital and analog signals which is why a DVI to VGA adapter works in those cases. There is no conversion of signals going on as the VGA adapter simply uses the analog signal it is supplied thus why a DVI-D signal won't support VGA.

Edit: Beaten to it. Hopefully because of the free licensing eventually we'll see some third party cables which may be cheaper but only time will tell.