Mini display port to dvi adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Jan 9, 2015.

1. waloshin, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I see the adapter has a USB port on it can I plug in my keyboard?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The USB is just for extra power so you can plug it into anything. I am not 100% sure a keyboard will give you the power you need since it is splitting an existing USB port, but you can try. Worse case you might have to use a different port.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Okay so the uab port can or cannot send data?

Thanks

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Displayport to dvi is for the video signal (or data). It has a USB plug for the power needed to convert the signal and nothing else.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

So this USB by the dvi is just a powered USB no data?

If so what a waste of a USB.

Attached Files:

6. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

This is why in the adapter there is a extra USB port, so you don't waste it.

Actually, this is the dual-link dvi adapter. If you are fine with 1920x1200 resolution you can get the single-link dvi adapter, which doesn't need the extra USB for power. The dual-link is for monitors above 1920x1200 (some 27 inch screens and all 30 inch screens).

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Thanks.

I do have the Dell U2713hm at 2560x1440. I wondered what the USB port was for because it seems with my keyboard attached it would not wake my Mac mini.

8. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Reading a few reviews suggests that the USB port doesn't always work for everyone. So you might have to get a USB hub for more USB ports. The actual dvi signal corrupts sometimes with this adapter too, so a terrible apple adapter all around.

If your monitor actually comes with USB ports you can plug in the adapter to the monitor and save a port that way. Or if you have a spare phone charging brick you can use that.

Or you could get a cheap mini displayport to display port cable and use that instead.

9. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

Maybe I got the problem wrong, but what I did was to get a MDP to HDMI, and then get a cheap HDMI to DVI converter to stick into my monitor. Plus, this way I can plug the PC into a TV, too.

10. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Unless I'm mistaken, HDMI on mac is a little crippled, and doesn't support 2560x1440 by default. From the MacBook Pro page:
    • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
    • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
    The mini is the same so it's likely similar for all macs. Apple considers HDMI to be a tv port and supports tv resolutions.

OP should have display port support on their Dell U2713hm based on the specs so they could just get the display port cable and be done with it.