mini display port to DVI adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thouts, Oct 27, 2008.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

so apple has a terrible picture of their cable online...thought i'd ask here. Is the DVI end male or female? I've got an HDMI to DVI cable for my tv...the DVI end is male so I could plug it into my old powerbook. hoping that the new adapter has a female DVI end so I can use my old cable to connect it to the tv.

2. floats macrumors newbie

I have one and can confirm that it has a female end on the DVI side.

3. jdwingnut macrumors regular

If you're going to use this in a HTPC solution, I think you're going to need the Dual-link connector. Yes I know this sucks, but I am in the same boat.

The new mini DisplayPort to single-link DVI adapter does not support the "Overscan" feature within System Preferences>Display properties.

This function of OSX is enabled via the USB cable found on the Dual-link adapter (I think but can't verify because of the 4-5 week delay from the Apple store). The older Mac Mini does not need any additional hardware to work.

I've been using my Mac Mini to test both scenarios in my HTPC and also with my ACD w/DVI, and have also been on the phone with Apple's tier 2 support twice so far. I am currently waiting on further correspondence back from them.

4. thouts thread starter macrumors regular

thouts

What is HTPC?

5. takemore macrumors member

As far as I know HTPC stands for Home Theater PC. Or your media computer. It's assumed that you would connect your media PC to your big screen TV and enjoy watching movie off your computer having "real" TV experience.

6. jdwingnut macrumors regular

It was assumed that your reference to HDMI and DVI in the same sentence was in regards to your home theater system, and yes, HTPC is for home theater PC or in this case HTMC :D

My apology for not explaining this in my original post. I was attempting to share with you as well as anyone else trying to connect up to the HTPC, the challenge I've come across so far.

7. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Arg! I hate this mini display business. I have nothing that plugs into it, and Apple puts nothing in the box that does either. Grrrr.

8. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

And unless you fork over $29 or $99 your current external display is USELESS!

Apple deserves alot of flack for this, they've been putting DVI to VGA cables in the box with their laptops for years. If you buy their newest model MB/MBP you are screwed! Unless of course you spend more money, on items that are not in stores anywhere! (only on the Apple Website).

Apple either is greedy as hell and does not care or this detail was poorly thought out.

9. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Bingo!

They took a license-free and royalty-free interface standard and turned it into a propriety port to sell their overpriced accessories and monitors. They even claim it as "industry standard" and market it as a small port to save space when regular DP is also a very small port.

Seems like Apple even took the analog pins out of DVI so you can't use a DVI->VGA adapter but have to spend another 30$ to get a VGA dongle from them.

You can't even transfer sound from the mini DP port. Even if it supports audio (which I doubt) it will be lost when you put a DVI dongle on it.