Mini-display port to DVI->DVI to VGA. does it work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by darkmeton, Nov 19, 2008.

1. darkmeton macrumors member

I have an EIZO 17' panel with vga output and I'm thinking of connecting it to a VGA to DVI adapter and then the adapter to the Mini-display Port to DVI of the macbook. Has anyone tried it, even with miniDVI or microDVI?

Also has anyone tried to connect Mini-display Port to DVI -> DVI to HDMI and HDMI to a HDtv? Any help appreciated!

(as you can see I want to buy a Mini-display Port to DVI cable and connect it with both my TV and my LCD)

2. MGLXP macrumors regular

Mini DisplayPort to DVI, then connecting another cable from DVI to VGA does not work because the Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable converts to DVI-D not DVI-I, so there is no analog signal to transport to VGA. A DVI to VGA cable also will not physically connect to the Mini DisplayPort to DVI cable. So if you want to convert from Mini DisplayPort to VGA, you must purchase the Mini DisplayPort to VGA cable.

3. darkmeton thread starter macrumors member

really ? And I thought I could use the same cable for both my pc and my tv... Now I have to buy both.. And they 're quite costly...

So the mini-display port to dvi and dvi to hdmi works, right??

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Exactly - I bought both cables this week. One for TVs and newer Projectors, and the other for older VGA projectors. You can use a DP to DVI and DVI to HDMI for instance because it's digital all the way through.