Mini Display Port to DVI on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChrisKaibot, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ChrisKaibot macrumors newbie

Yesterday I finally upgraded from my 15" PowerBook 1.67 to the new 13" MacBook Pro 2.66.

On the PowerBook I would usually run an external display using a single link DVI cable.

I have read about the issues with the apple mini display adapters not working on DVI-I or non fully digital displays, but since I had been running the external via single link DVI (digital correct?) I figured that I wouldn't run into any problems.

I did some troubleshooting with what I had and plugged my computer into my TV through the mini display adapter to a single link DVI to HDMI cable and all worked fine.

Do you think that a dual link DVI cable could solve the problem connecting
    to my monitor? Or is my monitor flat
    out incabable? Third party adapter?

Worst case I could just go VGA, though I don't want to.

My monitor is a Sceptre x20.

Thanks for your time,

Chris
    to.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mini DisplayPort to DVI should work fine. Only DVI-A won't work with it but it doesn't matter as your monitor must have DVI-D or DVI-I

3. wake6830 macrumors regular

I just bought two MDP to DVI cables from Monoprice and neither worked with my HDTV or my Dell monitor on my 15" MBP or my wife's 13" MBP (both brand new).

One of the cables at least allowed the computer to recognize the TV, but neither got the display working - they'd just go to sleep or say "no signal."