Mini Display Port to DVI/VGA Cables

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aboo, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,

I wanted to ask all of you experts on here for some advice. I recently got a macbook pro unibody and I ordered the mini display port to dvi adapter with it. At home, I have a Dell 2007FPW to which I would liketo connect my MBP using the above-mentioned adapter. So far no problems. At work however, we still have an older projector which supports VGA input only. Honestly, I dont want to spend another 30 bucks so that I could get my MBP to work on the projector so I was wondering if this option might work. Our office has a dvi to vga adapter that was used with the older gen MBPs. I was wondering if I could still output my MBP to the projector using the mini display port to DVI connector plugged into the DVI-to-VGA adapter (and then use a regular vga cable to connect to the projector). Would this work or am I better of just spending the money on the VGA adapter?

Besides, purchasing a DVI to VGA adapter would cost less then 10 bucks as opposed to 30 for the mini display port to vga adapter.

Thanks in advance!

2. kolax macrumors G3

Nope - you have to buy two separate adapters. I fell into the same boat when I tried using my existing DVI to VGA adapter.

Read about it here.

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I believe the Mini-DP to Dual-link DVI adapter, however, can be then linked up with DVI to VGA for such an outcome.

4. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

5. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'd be surprised if this is true. The Dual-DVI probably has the same digital-only limitation that the DVI one has.

You can't use these with the Apple Mini-DP to DVI adapter because it is digital only.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Unfortunately, neither of these will help.

Apple's Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter does *NOT* pass the VGA signal through. This means you cannot just use a DVI-to-VGA adapter, at all.

The underlying problem is that DisplayPort doesn't contain enough pins to pass through both DVI and VGA at the same time. You *NEED* a dedicated adapter for each type. The DisplayPort senses which adapter you have, and passes through that signal, and only that signal.

Same is true for the Dual-Link DVI adapter. DisplayPort doesn't contain enough pins for Dual-Link DVI, so this takes an active signal converter. (Hence the high price.) But again, Apple makes no effort to pass through a VGA signal. (Which would be silly, since it would make the DL-DVI adapter even *MORE* expensive, since then it would require a VGA DAC as well.)

Sorry, but when converting from DisplayPort to anything, you need separate adapters. This is not an Apple limitation, this is not a Mini DisplayPort limitation, this is a DisplayPort-base-spec limitation.

7. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Ahh my bad sorry I was misinformed!

8. sesnir macrumors 6502

MD to DVI

MD to VGA

You could buy both for the price of the one from Apple - available tomorrow.

Since you already bought one, at least you can get the VGA one at a cheaper price.