Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nocturnal22

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2009
Mini-display port to HDMI AVAILABLE FINALLY!!!

Mono Price Finally has them there 15 bux One per customer Get them quick just ordered mine they only have a few thousand And no they dont output audio according to gizmodo tests I suggest using an 3.5mm Audio M/M cable.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Hmm.

I'll be curious if it overscans like *%$£ on my Samsung hdtv, in which case I'll give it a miss. It'd be purely for movie playback though, my 24" ACD is the perfect size for all my other uses.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
I ordered the HDMI and VGA cord and they were getting ready to shipping within 30 minutes.

DsurioN

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Just placed my order!

Got myself the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable, a Mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK optical audio cable, an HDMI cable and the MDP to VGA cable for good measure :D

Now I'll be able to watch the HD content on my MacBook on the big screen! ;)

DsurioN

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
Just placed my order!

Got myself the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable, a Mini-TOSLINK to TOSLINK optical audio cable, an HDMI cable and the MDP to VGA cable for good measure :D

Now I'll be able to watch the HD content on my MacBook on the big screen! ;)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Hmm.

I'll be curious if it overscans like *%$£ on my Samsung hdtv, in which case I'll give it a miss. It'd be purely for movie playback though, my 24" ACD is the perfect size for all my other uses.

Just a FYI: You can turn on or off overscan in the Displays preferences.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Yeah I just ordered one and dropped about 45 bucks while I was at it. Engadget or was it Gizmodo? Reported the HDCP is working as well. This means you can watch HDCP protected content from your new Mac to your television or monitor.

Now when are we going to see a female mini display port to male hdmi connector so we can hook up all kinds of goodies to that beautiful 24" led cinema?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Just a FYI: You can turn on or off overscan in the Displays preferences.

I'll bear that in mind, cheers.

Now when are we going to see a female mini display port to male hdmi connector so we can hook up all kinds of goodies to that beautiful 24" led cinema?

God yeah! I'd be a bit concerned about the response times, but I'd love to see how my PS3/360 looked on my ACD.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I was able to run HDMI into a TV from my MBP from Mini display port over a month ago...did I miss something?

Apple has had a mini display port to dvi adapter for a while, you are correct. You probably then used a dvi to hdmi adapter or you have a dvi connection in your tv. As far as I know, televisions made in the last 2 years till today no longer have dvi connectors. Sure you can use a mini-display to dvi adapter and then a dvi to hdmi but this is a much simpler solution.

On top of this the Apple mini display port to dvi adapter does not transmit HDCP. This is HUGE if you want to watch those hdcp protected movies from itunes on your television or monitor. This is also a big deal if you want to connect your Mac to your television to watch blu-ray movies (under windows of course).

This mini display port to hdmi adapter passes along hdcp.

*edit*

My order already shipped! :D

So yes, you did miss something :cool:

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Apple has had a mini display port to dvi adapter for a while, you are correct. You probably then used a dvi to hdmi adapter or you have a dvi connection in your tv. As far as I know, televisions made in the last 2 years till today no longer have dvi connectors. Sure you can use a mini-display to dvi adapter and then a dvi to hdmi but this is a much simpler solution.

On top of this the Apple mini display port to dvi adapter does not transmit HDCP. This is HUGE if you want to watch those hdcp protected movies from itunes on your television or monitor. This is also a big deal if you want to connect your Mac to your television to watch blu-ray movies (under windows of course).

This mini display port to hdmi adapter passes along hdcp.

*edit*

My order already shipped! :D

So yes, you did miss something :cool:

Oh, I rip all my Blu-ray movies, so maybe that's why I didn't get why this is a big deal. Cheers.

MVApple

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Oh, I rip all my Blu-ray movies, so maybe that's why I didn't get why this is a big deal. Cheers.

Yeah I've been ripping my Blu-ray movies too but I only rip the ones I know I'll watch again, my favorites. For other times it's more convenient to simply hook up the external blu-ray player. Any HDMI connector is a lot more convenient for televisions as well.

umgoblue2008

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
What I want to know is when there will be a female minidisplay to male dvi/hdmi so that LED cinema display will work with other computers...

Greenhoe

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
I just ordered mine too for my MBP. I'm looking to connect it to my HD TV although what audio cable will I need to get audio from my MBP to my TV?

DsurioN

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2007
I just ordered mine too for my MBP. I'm looking to connect it to my HD TV although what audio cable will I need to get audio from my MBP to my TV?
If your TV / Home Theatre receiver has an optical TOSLINK input, you can use a Mini M/M to TOSLINK cable (the MBP's headphone jack is also an optical port, in case you didn't know)

If it doesn't, you're gonna have to go with a 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA (red and white) cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.