Mini Display Port to HDMI or to VGA...???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AryO, Apr 12, 2010.

1. AryO macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 white macbook. I want to connect it to my Samsung LED 6000 series tv. What I have the the apple mini display port to vga adapter. What would be the better choice in regards to picture quality and overall performance?

Also, Im having trouble connecting the Audio. I have 1.8 stereo mini to RCA cables. Would I even need to worry if I go the HDMI route because I read that HDMI carry audio. Overall Im pretty much lost please help. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks so much!

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

HDMI will carry a better picture. However, it depends on your TV - some TVs don't behave properly when using HDMI. Many TVs "lie" about their resolution (where it says it's resolution is 720p, when it's actually 768p or some such). Well-behaving TVs will detect that a computer is attached and report the actual resolution. Others don't, and OS X will believe the TV is 720p, when it is actually not, resulting in a less-than-ideal picture quality.

In that case, VGA would be the better choice.

A easy way to tell if your TV will behave is to look at the manual or in the back - if it has two HDMI ports and one says "PC" next to it, that's your ticket. On the other hand, if your TV is a "true" 720p TV (most cheap TVs aren't), then no worries, it'll work no matter what.

As for audio, you can't do this with VGA obviously, but with HDMI you can get this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2