Mini display port to HDMI Problem...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nocturnal22, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

I just got in the mail the new MDP to HDMI and i plug it in to my macbook then to my 32" Samsung 720p TV and In mirrored mode it doesnt display the full Screen thats on my macbook it cuts off an edge all around so i cant see the menu bar up top barely see the dock i tried different resolutions and still doesnt help... Anyone have any Idea why this happens? And also whats a good audio Cable so i can output the audio from my macbook to my TV? Thanx

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You can go into the Display preferences and turn off (or on? I can't remember) overscan. That should fix the problem.

3. Nocturnal22 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im in the Display System Prefs and i don see anything for overscan there:confused:

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's in the window for your external display, not the primary. It's in the Options tab, as shown in the screenshot below.

[​IMG]

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The Unibody MB doesn't have an overscan checkbox with my Samsung (either) over MDP-->DVI-->HDMI.

OP, what setting is your TV on? Just Scan vs 16:9? Oddly enough, on Just Scan, my issue is with mirroring, I don't get the full width of the screen, I get a 16:10 ratio output onto my 16:9 TV :(.

Edit: I just saw your 2nd post, that option tab isn't there for me when connected to my LN-T4065f LCD-TV. Mine will say "Samsung" at the top instead of "LCD TV" maybe that's why, it thinks the Samsung is a monitor rather than a television, hmm...

Edit2: "With some TVs, you can turn on overscanning so the picture expands to fill the screen. To turn on overscanning, open Displays preferences and click Options, then select Overscan." From the Mac Help window. It appears Samsungs don't support this "overscan."

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hmm, maybe OS X treats MiniDisplay-to-HDMI differently than MiniDVI-to-HDMI like I was using? In my projector, there's a overscan toggle in the projector settings, too. Maybe look around in your TV's settings to see if it has a overscan toggle?

Sorry I can't be much more help.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Sorry I editted my post, but yeah...it appears the overscan function is TV-type dependent, and isn't available on certain models. Looks like Samsung (at least mine) isn't one of the ones where it's available.

No worries though, I only use my TV when I'm using Hulu or something of the like so I use extended desktop mode, where it fits like a glove. On an aside however, I cannot use abc.com's player for some reason, it just hangs like a mofo...same with comedy central :( Works wonderfully on my g/f's HP however :mad:

8. Nocturnal22 thread starter macrumors 6502

man that sucks...hopefully a fix which i doubt will come out...

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

When you used extended desktop mode, with the TV set to "Just Scan" does it render correctly?

10. Nocturnal22 thread starter macrumors 6502

how woulg i set it to just scan?

11. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

With the Samsung remote, click through with the "picture setting" or "picture mode" button. I forget which one it is; I haven't used the factory remote in ages.

It should cycle between 4:3, Just Scan, 16:9, Wide Fit, Zoom, etc... Not all the modes are available for all the input types, so it may vary a bit for you.

12. finnschi macrumors 6502

and yes this works... at least on a friends 36" samsung! on "just scan" it showed everything correctly :D