Mini Display Port to HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBryton, Feb 22, 2011.

1. iBryton macrumors regular

What's happening forum?

I went to my local Apple Store and looked at the Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI. It was $34.95! That's too much. I looked on eBay, and they had Chinese mock ups for about $5.00. Are these real? What are my cheaper solutions?

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

3. euphrus macrumors member

i second that....i love monoprice. Also i got a knock off one from somewhere online (i forget where) but it works just fine...its a digital signal so it doesnt really matter the qualitiy of the connector. Mine is reliable and i could hardly notice the difference.

4. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

5. thepf macrumors newbie

6. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Monoprice is usually great for every cable, but their minidisplay to hdmi cable (not adapter) doesn't work with audio. Depending on how new your computer is, you won't get any sound out of the cable to the tv.

I'm actually interested to know if there is a cheap cable that works with the audio. I'm not a fan of the adapter since I'd prefer only one cable since it will always be with my computer.

7. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

Yes I got my adapter off amazon for $5 and it works perfectly. Although the adapter does not have a glossy finish or the coveted apple logo.

8. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I have that exact same one! Works like a charm.

10. iBryton thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, disregard that.

What is the difference between VGA and DVI. Which one is more common on projectors?

11. monkeybear macrumors newbie

I haven't seen a DVI adapter on a projector before... my micro projector only has VGA and HDMI. It also has an onboard speaker, so the VGA signal doesn't carry sound... something to keep in mind...