mini display port to hdmi

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcjh22, Nov 23, 2011.

1. rcjh22 macrumors member

I have a 2011 13" MBP on 10.7.2 and whenever I plug in my Macbook Pro to my tv from mini display port to HDMI something weird happens. When I plug it in the tv screen changes to the default background that comes with Lion even though I have a different background image but nothing else shows up. No dock no widgets nothing. Does anyone know how to fix this or if there is a problem with the connection?

2. visim91 macrumors 6502

Try this:
    With the Macbook open & connected alongside the TV, access System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement -> *Then drag the "menu bar" (gray bar along the top of the blue-shaded displays) from the smaller macbook pro display to the larger TV display, so simply click and drag it across, then drop it on the larger of the two.

Edit: You will have to do this all on the Macbook Pro. Once you have finished, your TV will now be the main monitor and the dock etc. will appear.

Hope this helps.

3. larjosd macrumors newbie

It's probably using the TV as a second monitor. That's the way mine does it too. Like rcjh said, go to display sin system preferences and you can adjust the arrangement of the screens, or mirror the displays if that's what you're after.

4. trikky macrumors regular

+1. I had the same problem, and after some poking around (I simply went with the mirroring), we were good to go.

Also remember that if the resolution on the TV is lower (i.e. it's a 720p or something else), you will have to adjust the browser windows and the like to have them fit on the telly.