Mini Display Port to HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by petz0ldt, Dec 25, 2008.

1. petz0ldt macrumors member

Has anyone heard any news on a mini displayport to HDMI adapter? I know that there have been a couple companies (monoprice.com) that have promised this adapter by the end of January 2009 but I just got a 22 inch lcd tv for Christmas and want to hook my unibody mbp to it.

2. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

As someone who resently bought an LCD tv I'm also waiting for this. There are 2 things I refuse to buy from apple: connectors and media content.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The 'mini displayport' is actually a MiniDVI and so what you need is a MiniDVI to HDMI cable, of which Ebay has thousands.

4. DeanCorp macrumors member

No. Mini Display Port is actually Mini Display Port. Mini DVI is Mini DVI :)

Mini Display Port = Unibody Late 2008 MacBook, Macbook Pro, MacBook Air.

Mini DVI = iMac, MacBook (White or Black)

I believe a Mini-display port to HDMI does not exist as of writing this reply.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uhhh... no, in fact. They're two completely different ports and technologies.

6. Yaris macrumors regular

Would it be possible to use the miniDP to DVI adapter and then a DVI to HDMI adapter?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. You won't get audio.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Yes that will work, but you need to run sound separately. You may also experience overscan problems; the overscan checkbox that would have appeared on the previous generation Macbook apparently no longer shows up with the new ones; this may or may not pose an issue in your case.

9. 156457 macrumors 6502

I'm not happy paying £29 for a cable from Apple. I can't wait for a cheap MiniDP to HDMI so i can hook it up to my 40" beauty.

10. Capla macrumors newbie

Well; I bought a 22 inch full HD screen for my MacBook which included a standard DVI-cable.. yeah, €29 ain't cheap but the end result is a gorgeous full HD screen on which games and movies look great..

Btw, the only 'real' difference between DVI and HDMI is the included audio in the latter; picture quality is really the same. So if you have a DVI port on your tv, a mini display-port to dvi adapter will suffice.

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well we can only hope more of those companies will license it from Apple sooner than later.