mini display port to RCA video...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pixeltarian, Apr 20, 2009.

1. pixeltarian macrumors member

what adapter combo do I need to do this?

mini display port to RCA video

thanks in advance!
    - Jeffrey

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

2 adapters. A Mini Displayport to VGA adapter, then a VGA to RCA adapter.

3. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry, that won't work because the miniDP->VGA adapter does not have nhe needed analog signals. The only known way to do this is with a VGA->S-Video/Composite Scan Converter. Apple dropped all support for S-Video/Composite when they went with miniDP.

4. pixeltarian thread starter macrumors member

ok so what can I adapt miniDP to? I'd like to hook my computer up to my television and it's an old television. the only inputs on it are RCA and coaxial.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

By the sounds of things you'd be better off buying a newer TV as a scan-line converter will be expensive!

6. pixeltarian thread starter macrumors member

or a DTV converter box. I'm sure one of them is bound to have digital input. Does anyone know if this could work? is there a DTV convector box with a compatible digital input for the miniDP?
    if the signal is coming through a coaxial antenna - doesn't that mean I can just adapt the miniDP to a coaxial? I know that RCA/coax cables can carry a digital audio signal through s/pdif...

7. danny_w macrumors 601

8. pixeltarian thread starter macrumors member

9. danny_w macrumors 601

The original question was about the Mini DisplayPort connector on the new MB/MBP/MBA. The link that you showed is for the Mini DVI connector on the older units, and it works fine on those models.

10. spice weasel macrumors 65816

In all honestly, you need to ask yourself if it's worth it to do this. It's going to look really, really bad, and it's going to cost you money to boot.

11. jampat macrumors 6502a

Many signals can be carried down the same type of cable, but they don't necessarily cooperate with each other. To get a signal onto coax into a format that is recognizable as a channel was about $800 a channel when I looked into it a few years ago. I haven't looked to deeply into the mini display port standard, but the consensus on here is you actually need a circuit to convert the digital signal to analog for you. As demand for your application (newest display standard to oldest display standard) is limited, they aren't dirt cheap.

Many DVD-writers have a FW port on them that you can use as input, but Apple killed that off too (assuming you could get the video to stream out the firewire port which is a big assumption).

If I were you I would save my money for a monitor or tv to use as a display.

12. pixeltarian thread starter macrumors member

13. danny_w macrumors 601

I hear ya. Consider:

1) I have a projection 4:3 tv in perfect condition, and it has component/composite/s-video inputs but no vga/dvi/hdmi. My :apple:TV has component outputs, so it connects fine, but it has no 4:3 aspect ratio support, so video does not look right.
    2) I also have a firewire camcorder (virtually new) and the new Macbook does not have a firewire port.
    3) MobileMe does not work with IE6, which most all hotel computers still use, so you are left stranded without your email.

It seems like Apple has a history of killing off "old" technology before it is really "old". After all, there are still quite a few tv's and projectors around the world in schools and hotel/conference rooms that the miniDP models cannot support.

14. fallingdown0905 macrumors newbie

mini display to rca

i would try 2 different adapters. 1) mini display to dvi. 2) dvi to rca. this should work.

15. fungkaman macrumors newbie

From what I just tried last night, this is not working.... =(
    Seems I can only use miniDP to VGA and then use VGA to connect my macbook to tv. Not sure whether VGA to RCA is working.