Mini display port to regular display port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cracklebox, Oct 28, 2008.

1. cracklebox macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the right section to post this topic in, but it relates to my new MBP. I recently bought a Dell 2408WFP monitor. One of the reasons I chose this monitor is that it has a huge variety of input options including display port which seemed to be a promising feature for future use. When apple announced the new mini display port, I thought that I might actually have a use for the display port input in my monitor. But it doesn't seem like there is any way to connect between the two. Will there be a mini display port to regular display port cable? I'm currently using the dvi adapter which is fine and I'm not really aware of the technical differences but I thought it would be nice to use the display port and not bother with an adapter.
    Anyway, I like the mini display port especially for its compact size but I'm curious about how apple is implementing the new port. They say it's an industry standard, but do they mean that about the display port technology and not the mini connector itself? It seems like a nice new technology, but It seems to me that apple isn't very consumer-friendly in their implementation of the new port. For example, not including an adapter when buying a new computer, and more significantly, the new 24" display which doesn't seem to connect to anything but the two new notebooks. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about the future of display port?

With the mini-display port and [nearly] abolishing Firewire, I seems to me that apple is making some huge changes in terms of connectivity and not so positive from the consumer's perspective.

2. tony4d macrumors member

Yup, the missing adapter that Apple failed to mention. These are the practices I hate Apple for. Apple is SO meticulous in every thing they do, you know they didn't forget to offer an mini<->full size display port adapter. They just thought they'd use it to make more money. This way it seems more logical to just purchase their new cinema display.

Its BS, included in the box should have been at least one adapter! DVI, VGA, Display port, whatever, but to have a brand new laptop with a proprietary connector that cannot be used with any 3rd party displays? bleh!