Mini display port to VGA has low resolution and refresh rate

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Lambros, May 25, 2011.

1. Lambros, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

Lambros macrumors regular

Hey guys, today I received a mini display port to VGA adapter for my macbook pro. I hooked it up to a 32" monitor in hope to use my macbook pro as a media center when at home. The problem im facing is that when showing the image in my monitor (1920x1080 native res @ 100Hz) it can only display at a maximum of 1680x1050 @ 60 Hz. This is causing me some issues because I am watching videos at a much lower res than I paid for. The monitor is a Sharp LCD TV (very new) and the macbook pro is the 15" 2010 model (if that makes a difference.

Is there any way to resolve this or am i stuck with this resolution and refresh rate?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You should be using either a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI or Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter instead. The dual-link DVI adapter is $99, and the HDMI adapter $34.95 on the Apple Online Store.

3. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

Can these adapters be returned or no?

Thank you

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There is no reason to use a dual-link DVI adapter. The standard adapters can easily handle 1920x1080. Personally, I would recommend a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter and cable from monoprice.com, which will cost about half of just the HDMI adapter from apple.

However, I think there should be an option of 1080p in displays under system preferences, which will get the 1920x1080 resolution. I do believe you're stuck with 60Hz, but there really isn't a whole lot of anything that benefits from higher refresh rates.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

My understanding was that to connect a display of 30" diagonally or greater you'd want to use dual-link DVI, but I could be wrong.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's not the physical size that matters but the resolution: 1920 x 1080 is not a particularly high resolution and doesn't need dual link DVI