Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big duck

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
On the apple site, it brags that the mini display port is really good because there's
"No more multiple-pin connectors with unwieldy screws"

But it means I have to buy converters to make it connect to my TV (which I currently use as a dual monitor for my imac). So it's hardly a hassle free solution.

In what way is the mini display port any better than the display port currently found on imacs, I already own that adapter! Apple surely isn't doing this just to make profit from adapters? It seems like they should have started with a normal port (which some would already have support for) then sell the adapters, instead of making everyone disadvantaged?

How long will it take for there to be a HDMI to MDP cable, or MDP to VGA cable, instead of having to use apple's official adapters then another cable?

Will there be 3rd party cables and adapters?

Finally, what is currently the cheapest way for me to connect the new macbook to my TV? (it has HDMI, VGA and all the other normal inputs)

northy014

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
Mini Display port is an emerging format that is expected to grow in prominence over the next few years i think - apple seems to be getting ahead of the curve.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
why post and moan about things u dont understand theres isnt a mini display port on iMacs there is a mini dvi!

For HDMI from your MB, you can go mini display port to DVI and DVI to HDMI as there the protocol and it will work fine! and why do you wanna go vga to hdmi that analogue to digital they are available just hundreds of pounds! so the adapters u have atm are useless with the macbook

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Mini Display port is an emerging format that is expected to grow in prominence over the next few years i think - apple seems to be getting ahead of the curve.

Displayport is definitely a good thing, but I find a problem with the mini connector. No one else uses it, so out of the box you have no compatibility with any monitors except for Apple's (newest display). It would have been far better if Apple used the standard Displayport connector, it's only slightly bigger than the mini connector :mad:

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Keep in mind though that when you go mDP-DVI-HDMI you loose the sound.
...plus you lose the overscan check box that you got with a miniDVI-DVI-HDMI cable pair on the previous Macbook. So if the overscan setting is important to you then the new Macbook with miniDP won't cut it.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Displayport is definitely a good thing, but I find a problem with the mini connector. No one else uses it, so out of the box you have no compatibility with any monitors except for Apple's (newest display). It would have been far better if Apple used the standard Displayport connector, it's only slightly bigger than the mini connector :mad:

I think you're right. For the size it does not really matter.

But Apple's defense might be that they had to do it, size-wise, for the Macbook Air.

I think it is just a way of making more profit.

big duck

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
why post and moan about things u dont understand theres isnt a mini display port on iMacs there is a mini dvi!

For HDMI from your MB, you can go mini display port to DVI and DVI to HDMI as there the protocol and it will work fine! and why do you wanna go vga to hdmi that analogue to digital they are available just hundreds of pounds! so the adapters u have atm are useless with the macbook

Now I think I knew it was a mini DVI I just made a mistake. (I thought it was a display port, not a mini display port, i knew they were different) I also meant mini display port to VGA, not HDMI to VGA.

As people have said my problem with it is that out of the box it's incompatible with everything, it's just annoying to have to buy so many pricey adaptors.

I'm glad to hear that it's an up and coming thing, and not just some crazy decision.
I want either VGA or HDMI, and on my imac VGA was the cheapest option.
With my current set up I'm not so bothered about sound cos I have some PC speakers at least as good as my TV built in ones.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I wonder if HDMI could have fit just as well as Mini Display Port on the new revision. It's an interesting thought.

Using proprietary ports is never a good idea.... especially when there aren't displays to back it up.

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I haven't been able to find an estimate ANYWHERE on when the miniDP to DP cables might be coming out. Id much rather buy a DP monitor and connect with 1 cable, than using an adapter and going from miniDP-->DVI-->DVI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.