Mini display port won't connect to 2nd display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pipper99, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I'm trying to connect my 2011 27" iMac to a 2nd monitor via an apple mini display port to dvi adapter, but the monitor isn't recognized by the iMac. I'm connecting the mini display port to the iMacs thunderbolt port. The mini display connector doesn't connect firmly into either of the thunderbolt ports, in fact, it'll fall out if I don't hold it in with my hand. The external monitor works fine when connected directly to my mac mini. Do I have a faulty adapter?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

could be a bad adapter. Check to see if it works with the miniDisplayPort on your mini.

3. lilgoatboobies macrumors newbie

I had sort of a similar experience, except I was using a logix cord minidisplay port to hdmi adaptor. It said it was thunderbolt compatible, but upon plugging it in to the computer it was so loose I mean if you sneezed near this thing or walked by it quickly it would fall right out of the computer. Needless to say using this cord the imac did not pick up my tv as a display acted like there was nothing at all plugged in. A 40$ cord that does nothing at all.

4. Pipper99 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I'm a goofball: I just didn't use enough force to push the adapter in. I tried several times, and I thought that it was going in as far as it could go. I guess I was afraid of damaging my new imac. The second display works great.

Thanks for the responses (and for not scolding me). :)

5. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Well consider youself lucky. There is a known issue with some if not alot of 2011 imacs and external displays. I have to send my 2011 21.5 i7 2.8 W/SSD and 1TB HD back because it will not wake from sleep from my external monitor. I have tried four different monitors none wake from sleep.

I have taken my 21.5 imac and external monitor to the Apple store. They plugged my external via DVI to mini display port adapter to four different 2011 imacs and none woke from sleep. Hooked it up to a Mac Mini via HDMI and it worked. Hooked it up to a 2010 model and it worked.

I have a 2010 27 W/SSD i7 2.93 refurb on the way to replace my current imac. I know that will work because I have used a 2010 model with this monitor and it works.

Talked to high level tech support and was e'mailed by Apple engineers and they said it is a known issue and they are working on it. Similar issue that the 2011 MacBookPro's had.

I hope you do not have any more problems.

6. Pipper99 thread starter macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Thank you. I hope you get a good resolution.

7. Talbot macrumors newbie

lol... I totally just did the EXACT same thing. I bought two adapters and was prepared to buy a new DVI cable before I saw this thread. I searched everywhere... and of course it wasn't in correctly. Anyway... now I have my wall o monitor (27 + 26)... :)

I'm happy.

8. MacMySongs macrumors newbie

I fixed it!!—by pushing a little harder.

I have a 27" 2011 iMac w/ 2 Thunderbolt ports.
    I'd initially plugged in an external Apple display w/ the mini display plug and it worked fine.

Then I unplugged it to re-arrange my studio. After that, the display stopped working. I tried the display on my MacBook Air and it worked fine, so I reconnected to the iMac. Still no luck. I was gonna call Apple, but then I saw a comment on this thread about pushing the plug in harder.

I figured WTF, so I pushed harder than I would normally. Voila! The display works fine.
    :D