Mini Display Port - WTF? Please explain.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fujikon, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Fujikon macrumors member

I have a 13" MBP I purchased a couple of months ago. I have used the mini display port to hook up an external monitor before and it worked fine. Today however, when I tried it, I got a blank screen. After a bit of fiddling, I noticed that by moving the adapter slightly up from the socket, the display would work. WTF? I thought it was a loose connection but it's pretty snug. After several tries, it finally works without having to move the adapter around. What could have caused this and should I be worried? I was thinking of taking it to Apple but if I can't reproduce the issue then I doubt they'd do anything about it.

P.S. I opened up the bottom case to see if anything is broken, but I could not see above the motherboard without taking it all the way apart...

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Sounds like one of the display cables is bad. This is a typical symptom of a bad wire.

3. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's the cable and more internal to the laptop. When I was moving the cable around, I was holding the piece static and only moving the connection part by the socket. But like I said, I can't get it to happen again. :confused:

I've always had bad luck with Apple products... sigh :mad:

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

i just had the logic board on my 15" replaced for the exact same issue. for me the ports were actually too tight, like the logic board wasnt in there quite right, and sometimes just barely touching the display adapter would make my acd go out, other times i could wiggle it a lot and it wouldnt get messed up. touchy connection methinks.

5. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

Were you able to replicate the issue easily? I'm assuming so, as you were able to get Apple to replace your board?

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

the guy looked at it and for mine, he (and i prior to bringing it in) could see that the logic board looked like it was just a fraction of a millimeter pushed towards the front of the computer, visible in the metal rings around the ports on the logic board--the right (front edge) was smaller than the left (rear) edge, showing that the board was pushed a hair to the front of the machine...he also plugged in a display adapter and had trouble with how tight it was so he just said yep and sent it in for a new board. the issue has been resolved

7. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Thanks for the detailed reply. Mine is tight as well but I don't see anything misaligned with the ports as you described. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it re-occurs. From your description it looks like you were able to make it happen a few times before you sent it in.