Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starsky72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hi

I have just bought a 2011 21.5 iMac upgrading from a broken 2006 model..

I was running an external monitor on the 2006 model via a minidisplay port to VGA cable, however the 2011 model has dropped the minidisplay port in favour of a Thunderbolt port.

Is there a minidisplay port to thunderbolt adapter or will it mean a new cable??

Cheers

Stuart

Nov 28, 2010
located
A 2006 iMac used the Mini DVI port, the 2011 iMac uses a Thunderbolt port, and Thunderbolt is ompatible with a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter but not compatible with a Mini DVI to VGA adapter, as Mini DisplayPort is not compatible with Mini DVI, since they both are different connections.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters and cables can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

Mini DVI
Mini DVI is a digital common interface on the later G4 12" PowerBook, on Intel iMacs till 2009 and on the white and black pre-Unibody MacBooks and on Intel Mac minis before they changed the design to Unibody.
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DVI.png
Mini DVI adapters can be bought online from:

Also of interest: "Mini DVI, what it is and how to capture it"

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Mini DisplayPort adapters should slot right in to your Thunderbolt port. I use a MDP-to-HDMI adapter on my TB-equipped Air and it works perfectly.

Starsky72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
aaaah yes, I have a Mini DVI to DVI lead then, and its the DVI socket that isn't present on the latest iMac :(

----------

so... is there a Thunderbolt to Mini DVI socket type adapter or am I best getting a Thunderbolt to DVI lead?

----------

I assume something like THIS is what I need??

Thanks

Stuart

Nov 28, 2010
located
aaaah yes, I have a Mini DVI to DVI lead then, and its the DVI socket that isn't present on the latest iMac :(

----------

so... is there a Thunderbolt to Mini DVI socket type adapter or am I best getting a Thunderbolt to DVI lead?

----------

I assume something like THIS is what I need??

Thanks

Stuart

If your external monitor has a DVI input in addition to the VGA input, then yes, that adapter should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.