Mini display port

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Starsky72, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Starsky72 macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just bought a 2011 21.5 iMac upgrading from a broken 2006 model..

I was running an external monitor on the 2006 model via a minidisplay port to VGA cable, however the 2011 model has dropped the minidisplay port in favour of a Thunderbolt port.

Is there a minidisplay port to thunderbolt adapter or will it mean a new cable??

Cheers

Stuart

2. simsaladimbamba

A 2006 iMac used the Mini DVI port, the 2011 iMac uses a Thunderbolt port, and Thunderbolt is ompatible with a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter but not compatible with a Mini DVI to VGA adapter, as Mini DisplayPort is not compatible with Mini DVI, since they both are different connections.

3. joesegh macrumors regular

Mini DisplayPort adapters should slot right in to your Thunderbolt port. I use a MDP-to-HDMI adapter on my TB-equipped Air and it works perfectly.

4. Starsky72 thread starter macrumors newbie

aaaah yes, I have a Mini DVI to DVI lead then, and its the DVI socket that isn't present on the latest iMac :(

----------

so... is there a Thunderbolt to Mini DVI socket type adapter or am I best getting a Thunderbolt to DVI lead?

----------

I assume something like THIS is what I need??

Thanks

Stuart

5. simsaladimbamba

If your external monitor has a DVI input in addition to the VGA input, then yes, that adapter should work.