Mini Displayport adapter on 21.5in 4K iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thomasp, Jan 30, 2016.

1. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I currently have a 2008 Macbook Pro, and use a Mini Displayport to VGA adapter to connect to an external monitor. I'm looking to upgrade to a 21.5in 4K iMac, will the MDP adapter work on the Thunderbolt port to allow me to connect my external monitor, or do I need to buy a Thunderbolt to VGA adapter?

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Mini display port should work. But you'll be very unhappy with a VGA monitor next to a 4K screen. I even find a 1920X1200 monitor next to a 5K screen a bit distracting.

3. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go and see what happens. Sometimes you do need a second screen, but unfortunately having just shelled out a small fortune for the iMac I can't really stretch to a 4K external as well!

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Totally understand. But before dumping $10-20 on the adapter, at least look at a decent 1920X1080 HD monitor (and get an HDMI adapter instead)

5. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I already have the adapter and monitor for use with my MBP. The original query was to see if this would still work, as if not I could have got a new one from the Apple store at the same time!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It should work, I don't think you need to buy a new one.

7. thomasp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can confirm that the adapter does work. Perfect for watching low-res videos on Youtube!