Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
So where's the Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adapter?

Where's the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter?

You beat me to it, I'm surprised to see these before a MDP to DP and vice versa.

I don't think MDP to HDMI is electrically possible in a passive converter.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
You beat me to it, I'm surprised to see these before a MDP to DP and vice versa.

I don't think MDP to HDMI is electrically possible in a passive converter.

I can't see why it wouldn't be possible. The MDP to DVI adapter works, and HDMI is basically DVI+audio+hdcp.

All I want is a MDP to DP adapter from apple, which carries the signal in it's entirety, because there will be mass market adapters to go from DP to everything else all over the market soon.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I can't see why it wouldn't be possible. The MDP to DVI adapter works, and HDMI is basically DVI+audio+hdcp.

All I want is a MDP to DP adapter from apple, which carries the signal in it's entirety, because there will be mass market adapters to go from DP to everything else all over the market soon.

You know, that is a really, really good point! Minidisplay port to HDMI should be cake, it's HDMI output to a display port IN that gets complicated.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Monoprice is great. Got a mini-dvi to hdmi AND dvi adapter (splitter) for less than $20.
For my early 08 MB.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
Just wish they'd come out with an adapter to use the new LED Cinema Display with a MacPro. Don't see why that's impossible, just need the female Mini Display Port and a conversion to the DVI on the other end.

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
Just wish they'd come out with an adapter to use the new LED Cinema Display with a MacPro. Don't see why that's impossible, just need the female Mini Display Port and a conversion to the DVI on the other end.

does anyone have any info on this? my company bought me a mac pro and two of the new cinema displays which are now collecting dust. i've never been this annoyed at apple.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
does anyone have any info on this? my company bought me a mac pro and two of the new cinema displays which are now collecting dust. i've never been this annoyed at apple.

Shouldn't you be annoyed at yourself for not reading the spec sheets properly? The Mac Pro doesn't come with compatible (currently) outputs for those new 24" cinema displays. Even the displays themselves say they are only compatible with mini-DP. It's not apples fault that you got the wrong things.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
Shouldn't you be annoyed at yourself for not reading the spec sheets properly? The Mac Pro doesn't come with compatible (currently) outputs for those new 24" cinema displays. Even the displays themselves say they are only compatible with mini-DP. It's not apples fault that you got the wrong things.

While they did order the wrong thing, you aren't helping by calling them out on it. They may have just made an assumption, like I'm sure MANY have, that the new display would work on any other Mac.

It's Apple's fault for not making adapters to make it backwards compatible, which should be a snap. I would have bought it day one if that were the case. They should also add a disclaimer online when you try to order it with other machines to make sure it's known what it works with.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
While they did order the wrong thing, you aren't helping by calling them out on it. They may have just made an assumption, like I'm sure MANY have, that the new display would work on any other Mac.

It's Apple's fault for not making adapters to make it backwards compatible, which should be a snap. I would have bought it day one if that were the case. They should also add a disclaimer online when you try to order it with other machines to make sure it's known what it works with.

I just don't understand why they are "collecting dust" and not returned for a refund/replacement stating it wasn't clear that they wouldn't work with the Mac Pro?

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
I just don't understand why they are "collecting dust" and not returned for a refund/replacement stating it wasn't clear that they wouldn't work with the Mac Pro?

Agreed completely, I'd return them before the 30 day window passes, and then repurchase compatible ones or wait til adapters come out. More returns may make Apple want to get an adapter out.

menu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007

You know, that is a really, really good point! Minidisplay port to HDMI should be cake, it's HDMI output to a display port IN that gets complicated.

Both of these are excellent posts, however I do not completely understand them. My question is there is NO current adapter available that I may purchase to run a MAC Mini on my Polariod HDMI Television? Correct? Please help to clarify this adapter thread. Thank you! I was thinking about buying a Mini so that I may use it for travel (going to load Parrelles (spelling?) or Boot Camp on it, so that I may be able to run Quickkbooks Pro on it. I bought a yucky Delll last year for my company and do not like getting the "blue screen" issues.

Anyway, I already own a MAC laptop (husband's) and an iMAC (mine). Any help would be appreciated. Wishing everyone a great 2009!

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
Both of these are excellent posts, however I do not completely understand them. My question is there is NO current adapter available that I may purchase to run a MAC Mini on my Polariod HDMI Television? Correct? Please help to clarify this adapter thread. Thank you! I was thinking about buying a Mini so that I may use it for travel (going to load Parrelles (spelling?) or Boot Camp on it, so that I may be able to run Quickkbooks Pro on it. I bought a yucky Delll last year for my company and do not like getting the "blue screen" issues.

Anyway, I already own a MAC laptop (husband's) and an iMAC (mine). Any help would be appreciated. Wishing everyone a great 2009!

This thread is about the new MiniDisplayPort for the newest MacBook line of laptops and adapters needed to put those to HDMI.

What you'd want for the Mac Mini is this cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2505&seq=1&format=2

You may also use that cable with your Mac laptop or iMac with the proper adapter for your model Mac.

menu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
This thread is about the new MiniDisplayPort for the newest MacBook line of laptops and adapters needed to put those to HDMI.

What you'd want for the Mac Mini is this cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2505&seq=1&format=2

You may also use that cable with your Mac laptop or iMac with the proper adapter for your model Mac.

Thank you so very much for your help! I will see what I can do about puchasing ANOTHER computer for the company, one that will be compatile with traveling and will be able to plug into hotel televisions for computer use on the go, with the proper cord adapter. I am pretty sure they would not what to lug around a moniter (especially a CRT). We already have a MAC laptop but need that silly PC based program loaded for use some of the time (like the accounting program).

If I have more questions I'll post them then. Thanks again!!!

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007

No, you can easily purchase a DVI to HDMI converter and run your Mac Mini on an HDMI TV.

You may have issues with overscan or underscan depending on your specific TV, but it will work as long as you are using standard HDTV resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i)

menu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
No, you can easily purchase a DVI to HDMI converter and run your Mac Mini on an HDMI TV.

You may have issues with overscan or underscan depending on your specific TV, but it will work as long as you are using standard HDTV resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i)

Thank you for your reply to my question. I hope I purchase the correct cable. I am thinking about buying:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR843LL/A#overview
Our television in the front room is a:3211-TLXB: 32" HD Widescreen LCD TV with Digital ATSC Tuner

I hope I configured this post correctly, was trying to create web link...but I probably did it incorectly. Anyway, I am learning a lot (as I always do) here on maccrummors.

Thank you everyone for all your help. I am looking forward to any update the MAC has to offer on the Minis. I think the release will happen AFTER January 12th. LOL Of course any day after the 12th is a possibility-just being silly since there are so many predicitions on the release date. Take care!.

McCarron

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2006
I would doubt any MacMini updates this month, they'll probably announce new ones next month or even later.

As far as cables, yes that one would work fine, but as akm3 said overscan may be an issue. With overscan you may not be able to see the dock or the menu bar.

So it may be better to get a VGA cable and DVI-VGA adapter and use your TV's VGA d-sub port (which I see it has). Most TVs will automatically adjust this input for Overscan issues, while with the HDMI input it wont adjust for this and sometimes the Mac Display Properties doesn't give you the "overscan" option for whatever reason.

fuzzycuffs

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Are they available yet? They're still not for order.

I put my email address in but haven't received anything.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Monoprice updated the site to say the ETA is in April. I can't afford to wait that long so I just ordered the normal Apple adapter. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.