Mini Displayport + Audio, final verdict?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eeriephenomenon, Jul 2, 2009.

1. eeriephenomenon macrumors member

So I know there have been a couple other threads on this from a couple months ago but I need to bring this back up... has there been a final verdict that the reason the mini displayport doesnt support audio is due to a hardware limitation or a software limitation?

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Nobody is sure. Regardless, it isn't there and highly unlikely that Apple will ever add it.

4. eeriephenomenon thread starter macrumors member

I wouldn't say highly unlikely, i mean look at stereo blutooth support for the iphone...

so i guess its still up in the air... any suggestions on how we all can get to the bottom of this?

5. goMac macrumors 603

I wouldn't rule out hardware limitation on this one...

6. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

whats nice about the new macbook pros is that the audio port can uses digital out.

7. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

"New" MacBook Pro..? All generations of the MacBook Pro have had optical out..

8. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

oh i did not know that! thanks for correcting me! im new to the Mac Community and just got my MacbookPro 2 month's ago. thanks for clearing that up!

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

This wasn't in the first iPhone because the codebase was from Tiger which didn't support A2DP. After Leopard came out and supported it, it has long been expected that this feature would make it to the iPhone.
    Not only is there nothing that could take advantage of transferring audio over mDP, but there is no evidence of any plans to do so either.

I'm fairly certain that all (Intel?) Macs can do this too (short of MacBooks?).

10. eeriephenomenon thread starter macrumors member

Good point! except for the fact the mDP to HDMI can take advantage of transferring audio, which is why i was asking in the first place.