Mini Displayport Audio

hlipnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Just found a nice tidbit that I had missed about the new MacPros. Audio over the mini displayport (one or both?? don't know yet) just like the latest rev of Macbooks and iMacs. Under 'Connections and Audio' section here: http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html
Peace,

-Harry

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
I think we all assumed that was coming as soon as  upgraded their Mini Display Port spec. Would have been a little irritated if they didn't...

Comment

hlipnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I think we all assumed that was coming as soon as  upgraded their Mini Display Port spec. Would have been a little irritated if they didn't...
Fair point. Although I was also hoping for FW 1600 and eSATA, and didn't see those. At least we got this though :p
Peace,

-Harry

Comment

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Regrettably, all indications were that we would see no new ports. Bummer, right?

Comment

hlipnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Regrettably, all indications were that we would see no new ports. Bummer, right?
Yup. Honestly, while USB 3 and new FW would have been great, I don't truly have a need for them at the moment as I don't own a single drive or accessory that utilizes them. The one that really irks me, though, is eSATA. Just seems like it ought to be so easy with a full speed SATA bus already in the machine, and I need eSATA for external drives. Now I just have to spend money and a PCI slot to get it. But, despite what I would have like to see, I'll be buying one of these on the 9th. I've waited long enough and I really can use the extra power for the I'm doing.
Peace,

-Harry

Comment

sporadic

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Hereford, UK.
If you pop over to the page for the 27inch display that will debut at the same time you will also note this:

Works with every new Mac.
You can connect your LED Cinema Display to any of the current lineup of Mac notebooks and desktop computers: MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro. That’s because the LED Cinema Display uses the ultracompact Mini DisplayPort connector. While other display connectors have you lining up pins or fumbling with screws, the Mini DisplayPort connector is easy in, easy out. And because it carries both video and audio, there’s one less cable to worry about.
Of course the display still has the USB connection for the hub, camera and microphone so it isn't really one less if you are using the thing to its fullest.

Comment