Mini Displayport Audio

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hlipnick, Jul 29, 2010.

1. hlipnick macrumors newbie

Just found a nice tidbit that I had missed about the new MacPros. Audio over the mini displayport (one or both?? don't know yet) just like the latest rev of Macbooks and iMacs. Under 'Connections and Audio' section here: http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html
    Peace,

-Harry

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I think we all assumed that was coming as soon as  upgraded their Mini Display Port spec. Would have been a little irritated if they didn't...

3. hlipnick thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair point. Although I was also hoping for FW 1600 and eSATA, and didn't see those. At least we got this though :p
    Peace,

-Harry

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Regrettably, all indications were that we would see no new ports. Bummer, right?

5. hlipnick thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup. Honestly, while USB 3 and new FW would have been great, I don't truly have a need for them at the moment as I don't own a single drive or accessory that utilizes them. The one that really irks me, though, is eSATA. Just seems like it ought to be so easy with a full speed SATA bus already in the machine, and I need eSATA for external drives. Now I just have to spend money and a PCI slot to get it. But, despite what I would have like to see, I'll be buying one of these on the 9th. I've waited long enough and I really can use the extra power for the I'm doing.
    Peace,

-Harry

6. sporadic macrumors newbie

If you pop over to the page for the 27inch display that will debut at the same time you will also note this:

Of course the display still has the USB connection for the hub, camera and microphone so it isn't really one less if you are using the thing to its fullest.